Mystery capacitor found inside President Grant radio

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
oz_com

Mystery capacitor found inside President Grant radio

Post by oz_com »

I have a President Grant SSB radio that had the cover off. Inside where it was stamped by a local CB shop, the date is 1977. Sorry I don't have more model information.

When the cover was off, a small disk capacitor snapped off the main board somewhere. The other end was still attached to chassis ground. Just by looking at it, I can't tell where it had been soldered on the board. Don't know what it was close to, either.

The radio does TX and RX, and I can't spot any performance problems. Can anyone suggest a "typical" function for a capacitor to ground?

In particular, is there any possible way that a missing capacitor could become a safety hazard of any kind? (Electrocution, short circuit, fire etc.)

Thanks for any and all speculations,

Tim
kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

RFI filtering.
Show me the Linears!
oz_com

Post by oz_com »

Thanks for your reply; I suspected something like that...

Without a wiring diagram, is there any way to tell where to re-solder the capacitor?

Tim
Studio1
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Studio1 »

If it was on the rear of the board (the copper side) chances are it was an after-thought - possibly added after the set left the production line as a means of suppressing some kind of interference that had been causing problems somewhere.

Getting a copy of the circuit would certainly be a good start, then you may be able to go through and check off all the ceramic caps that are shown on the diagram, and see if any are present that aren't accounted for.