President Washington 858 PLL no modulation, clicking relays

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
wvdx

Post by wvdx »

Hi,

I got this story second hand, I have not seen the radio, but apparently my buddy's Washington will not modulate on AM and keys up at about a watt, while before it keyed around 4. On SSB, the relays will continually click while the mic is keyed and it won't modulate. However, it receives fine. The problems seem centered around transmitting.

It seems to be a different problem than is mentioned in this thread, but perhaps I am wrong.

Neither one of us have the equipment to fix this, and we know just enough to be dangerous, however I'd like to know what others think before we take it into the shop. There is not the best selection of shops locally and he does not want to ship it so I think it's best if we can learn as much as we can about what may be the problem from you knowledgeable folks before plopping it down on someone's bench and telling them to have a good time.
euhara
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by euhara »

You might try this for the clicking relay,
in the left rear of the radio near the finals is a Tantalum capacitor number C179 it is directly in front of a green Mylar capacitor. Try removing this C179 capacitor and replace with an electrolytic capacitor of the same value, I believe it is a 2.2uF. That should stop the clicking relay.
Good luck, Jim
euhara
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by euhara »

You might try this for the clicking relay,
in the left rear of the radio near the finals is a Tantalum capacitor number C179 it is directly in front of a green Mylar capacitor. Try removing this C179 capacitor and replace with an electrolytic capacitor of the same value, I believe it is a 2.2uF. That should stop the clicking relay.
Good luck, Jim