rci 2950 low power old version

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
too-seven

Post by too-seven »

I have a problem with my old version 2950. Low power output on TX, about 4 watts AM/12 watts SSB. Just happend a couple days ago. Power is down about half of what it was. Voltages around outputs/driver normal, pass transistor voltages seem normal as well according to charts I have here. Before I go further I am seeking some advice here. Thanks in advance!
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

Check to see how much current the PA stage is drawing, if low I would change the finals.

You could try unhooking the collectors of the finals and checking the current to see which final is low.

I have had the driver go low, but in most cases it is the finals.
Rick.
too-seven

Post by too-seven »

Thanks Rick for the reply. I will check the current on the finals and go from there. I am new here and have found some great info, much appreciated!
too-seven

Post by too-seven »

Well, got around to replacing the finals, not the problem. It appears my driver bias is very high according to the TX alignment manual, and wont adjust down to the 50-60 mA range. Would you suspect the driver in this case? Thanks!
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

That is why I told you it was best to check the current being drawn.

It maybe the driver has a base emitter leak but I would check R258 and D92, R258 should be 2R2 or for people in the USA 2.2 ohms.

If R258 has gone hi also change C264 and C292.

I have seen R258 go up to 70 plus ohms.
Rick.
too-seven

Post by too-seven »

Repalced driver and new outputs, all is working well. Thanks for the kind help, great forum!