Radioshack TRC1014 no PLL lock (channel numbers flashing).

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
Warf135
Light User
Light User

Radioshack TRC1014 no PLL lock (channel numbers flashing).

Post by Warf135 »

Radio Make and Model: 1995 Radioshack trc1014 handset (aka maycom/cherokee AH27)
PCB Number: 27RFCR-B and 34010008
PLL Number: unknown
Test gear available: trio FC756 frequency counter, Motorola S-1355A swr/power meter, dummyload, standard multimeter (and Farnell DTS 12 'scope when I get round to fixing it)

Symptoms: I suspect that the PLL or VCO out of lock, channel number flashing as it does when frequency mods done and VCO not retuned.

What is working: Radio lights up and produces white noise from speaker as it should, channel numbers alter when up/down pressed. all appears ok but no lock on PLL

What has been tried: remove all mods and put radio back to standard.

Did it suddenly happen ?: yes, I had just turned up the deviation slightly when the conservatory roof started leaking. radio was ok when left, but when re connected was out of lock.

Anything else that may be of help?: there is a chance that as i threw radio onto bench somthing may have shorted.
sch_ah27.zip
I have this schematic, and assume it's the same for the TRC1014.
(186.94 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
UPDATE 16-04-2009:
After leaving the radio for ages I decided to have another look at it last night and it looks like I may have found the fault.

Q911 a 2SC3880S SMT transistor (labled AQY) on the CPU board has gone bad. Q911 is part of the VCO circuit and i'm pretty confident that replacing it will fix this radio. I'm currently trying to locate a replacement, and will update this post if the radio works when it is fitted.

UPDATE 17-04-2009

:D Radio Sorted! I replaced Q911 with one out of an old Maycom EM27 board and the TRC1014 now works well! :D
I'm sure I checked Q911 before, but I must have missed it... :doh:
Norm