Ranger RCI 2950 Non DX Help Please

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
thundir
Dead Key
Dead Key

Ranger RCI 2950 Non DX Help Please

Post by thundir »

Radio Make and Model: Ranger RCI 2950 NON DX
PCB Number:
PLL Number:
Test gear available: 3 way power meters. Dummy Load. Test Meters.
Symptoms: The liquid lights do not respond to receiving stations on SSB Mode only

What is working: Everything

What has been tried: Visual Inspection . Made sure all connectors were pushed in.

Did it suddenly happen ?: About 1 week ago.
Anything else that may be of help?:
I have a friend that just picked up an old school RCI2950 Non DX. The Radio works Great. One problem is that when he goes to ssb mode the liquid lights to give radio checks does not register. The receive on the Radio is great. Just only in ssb mode will it not read. AM and Fm No Prob. Any Ideas to help my buddy would be great. By The way I had a channel Guard installed. Made by Lou Franklin. Prevents Adjacent Bleed over which is common on these radios. Capacator 72 was removed and 2 wires installed from the board went there. I believe its the IF strip of the radio. One wire to ground and another wire under the board to tap in to Voltage. Thanks Guys............ :banghead:
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ranger RCI 2950 Non DX Help Please

Post by The Defpom »

There are a few possible causes, I would first check VR2 to make sure it is not cracked or just incorrectly set (VR2 is the SSB signal meter), if that checks out, then check R61 , if that is OK then replace Q15.

If the problem is only one LSB or USB (it works on the other sideband) then it could just be a fault with one of the steering diodes, D108 or D92.

I would say the most likely fault will be VR2 itself, or Q15/R61.
thundir
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by thundir »

Hey Scott,
Thank you for the valuable info. I'm going to open her up and check her out. At least I have something to go on. Yea its both ssb . I remember when We use to hear AM I would also switch to cw and see a tone carrier. Not anymore. Is that also affected by the ssb portion circuitry.Thanks again....................
thundir
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by thundir »

Scott never mind what I just said. Man The Radio is working again. It was VR2 It was turned all the way down. Scott your the Best. Best wishes out there In New Zealand From The Sunny Coast Of San Francisco Cali................. :dance:
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

Glad to have helped. Have a good one.