RCI 2950 non-DX, low output power, etc.

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
theradionerdz
First Name: James

RCI 2950 non-DX, low output power, etc.

Post by theradionerdz »

Radio Make and Model: Ranger RCI 2950 non-DX
PCB Number: EPT 295013B
PLL Number:
Test gear available: Motorola R2210B service monitor, power meters, oscilloscope
Symptoms: the radio deadkeys about 5 watts, and swings to about 6. When the deadkey is held for about 10 seconds or so, the power decreases slowly.
The radio modulates good, and the waveform on the scope is clean. Occasionally, the power output dissappears altogether. The meter shows a reverse modulation effect as well. this radio has just been given to me, and this is the first one I have ever worked on, so all help will be appreciated

What is working: Nothing yet

What has been tried: Preliminary testing

Did it suddenly happen ?: since it was a preowned radio, I do not know if this problem was ongoing or not
Anything else that may be of help?: As of right now.... nothing
Classic CB
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Andy

Re: RCI 2950 non-DX, low output power, etc.

Post by Classic CB »

Hi: I would be checking the output transistors & driver as a starter. Had 1 of these a while back where the output transistors had been changed for underrated types & had no thermal compound on them, exhibited very similar symptoms. Also make sure you check for dry solder joints around the RF stages with a strong illuminated Magnifier.

Andy @ Classic CB
13EL121
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Ralf

Re: RCI 2950 non-DX, low output power, etc.

Post by 13EL121 »

Does the power comes back when the radio is cold? I would check the output transistors & driver at first step too.