help ranger ar 3500 only 4 watts on ssb

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
buzzby
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: philip

help ranger ar 3500 only 4 watts on ssb

Post by buzzby »

Radio Make and Model: ranger ar 3500
PCB Number:
PLL Number:
Test gear available: test meter dummy load power meter
Symptoms:

What is working: thew set is good in every other way

What has been tried: nothing yet the lid has never been off this set

Did it suddenly happen ?: always was like this
Anything else that may be of help?:i got this set 2 years ago but i noticed that the output was very low on this set only 4 watts on ssb and 8 watts on fm ,but to get round this problem i have always used a linear amp,but i think its time to put this set right,but unfortunately i will have to brake the seal on this set as it has never been opened but these things have to be done to put this set right any help would be great many thanks philip :)
Last edited by buzzby on Tuesday 2nd Feb 2010, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Joerg
First Name: Joerg

Re: ranger ar 3500 only 4 watts on ssb

Post by Joerg »

Hi,

which model: the 30 Watts or 150 Watts? Wich seal: The seal of your dealer/tech or the original "Ranger"-Seal?

On the 150 Watts it COULD be, that the Driver is killed, so you are running on a low-driven Final-/Amp-Stage.

30W-Model seems to be OK so far and needs a re-adjustment arund driver and final (voltage and amps). Search for the procedure on google (keywords "ranger ar 3500", you'll find a page for sure). Maybe the tech (or one of them) done some tests and forgot to raise up the power after that again. Due to FM is in specs with 8 Watts it is the only thing, to look first. Second will be the way of the power-supply to the final. Maybe a Voltage-regulator is blown or somehting around of it (2SB754 [Q35] and "friends"), so it just can't get more amps out of this "supply" to peak SSB.

73s, Joerg
buzzby
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by buzzby »

it was the dealers seal from 1992 when this set was new and it is the 30 watt set thanks for your help but you were right about the set being at a low setting i turned up the ssb mod vr and now i am putting out 10 watts which is good for me then i can still use my 200 watt linear which can only take 10 watt input, but 10 watts is all i can get out off the set maybe the final drive is on its way out i am not sure, is there any other vrs i could addjust to see if the watts can go higher because i am thinking that this set came out off the factory before it was set to 30 watts, many thanks joerg :)
buzzby
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by buzzby »

buzzby wrote:it was the dealers seal from 1992 when this set was new and it is the 30 watt set thanks for your help but you were right about the set being at a low setting i turned up the ssb mod vr and now i am putting out 10 watts which is good for me then i can still use my 200 watt linear which can only take 10 watt input, but 10 watts is all i can get out off the set maybe the final drive is on its way out i am not sure, is there any other vrs i could addjust to see if the watts can go higher because i am thinking that this set came out off the factory before it was set to 30 watts, many thanks joerg :)
i have just discoverd that vr15 does nothing when i make an ajustment it now stays at 6 watts when the set is fully up to temprature i think that q35 is not working but i cant seem to find it can you help me find please joerg :?
Joerg

Post by Joerg »

Hi,

must say, I don't know the ar 3500, just read the shematic I found on the web. The SB 754 (Q35) must be a big one, screwed to the chassis with the upper edges cut off at 45 degrees. Normally it is not very far away from your power-inlet. I it is the one, you can change it to the higher-rated BD246 (same pinout).

But that, what you described (rising temperature, lower power), could also be a problem with the diodes across the driver and finals. Please check the bias-voltages (both!) as described in the alignment. If it is off ways and your unable to restore it with the pot, there is a problem with the diodes (MV1Y, varistors) or the circuit around it. Then please visit a tech - or perhaps here is someone, who knows this tranceiver by "live" and not only from PDF's out-of internet like me :-)

73s, Joerg
buzzby
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by buzzby »

Joerg wrote:Hi,

must say, I don't know the ar 3500, just read the shematic I found on the web. The SB 754 (Q35) must be a big one, screwed to the chassis with the upper edges cut off at 45 degrees. Normally it is not very far away from your power-inlet. I it is the one, you can change it to the higher-rated BD246 (same pinout).

But that, what you described (rising temperature, lower power), could also be a problem with the diodes across the driver and finals. Please check the bias-voltages (both!) as described in the alignment. If it is off ways and your unable to restore it with the pot, there is a problem with the diodes (MV1Y, varistors) or the circuit around it. Then please visit a tech - or perhaps here is someone, who knows this tranceiver by "live" and not only from PDF's out-of internet like me :-)

73s, Joerg
that will do joerg many thanks for trying for me thing is there is no techs where i live i will have to send the set over to the mainland uk i think this would be best, but this set is made by clear channel and its hard to know who to send it to many thanks again joerg .............73's............ :)
Joerg

Post by Joerg »

Sorry for that, but checkout these two things and then you see more. If the diodes are blown there is a reason, but you can experimentally exchange them with 1N4148 or 1N4001. Then you can make more messurments, before trying to geht those MV1Y, which will be hard to find...
buzzby
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by buzzby »

Joerg wrote:Sorry for that, but checkout these two things and then you see more. If the diodes are blown there is a reason, but you can experimentally exchange them with 1N4148 or 1N4001. Then you can make more messurments, before trying to geht those MV1Y, which will be hard to find...
thats ok joerg but i have just found where to get the parts but first i will do the checks to see if i can fix the problem here is a link you may find usefull http://www.rfparts.com/diode.html many thanks mate hope someday i will chat to you on air :wink: