RCI 2950DX e chip problem!

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
soundmanjim
Dead Key
Dead Key

RCI 2950DX e chip problem!

Post by soundmanjim »

Radio Make and Model: RCI2950DX
PCB Number: EPT695014B
PLL Number:
Test gear available:
Symptoms: Just bought this radio off Ebay - guy said it was working 24-32. When i switched it on, only 24 and 28. then i found the mod by tapping MAN on the front. All good.
Then halfway through a chat with someone on FM, the radio defaulted back to 24-28 and the MAN button would do absolutely nothing. :shock:
I removed the cover and unplugged the e-chip. turned it on, then back off again, then reconnected the e-chip. Turned it back on - perfect. :D Then during a chat, 'beep' and the thing goes back to ham mode, and the man button wont do anything. Took the lid off again, unplugged and re-plugged the chip - working - but only until i turned the channel change, then it plopped back onto 24.890. :banghead:
I actually put my finger on the tiny pcb whilst turning on the rig and this cures the problem, but as soon as i take my finger off of it, it defaults again. Dry joint?

What is working: The rig is in perfect order, all modes and contriols work, apart from the MAN button to change from Ham to CB mode.

What has been tried: removal and refitting of e chip

Did it suddenly happen ?: yes
Anything else that may be of help?: i am beginning to think that the E chip may be faulty - or an smd is not making proper contact - i dont dare wave my soldering irion at it, ill just make things worse.

Any suggestions? Can anyone tell me where i can buy another e chip?

73's

Jim
zodiac
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: RCI 2950DX e chip problem!

Post by zodiac »

Have you got a friend that has the same radio that you can borrow the chip from, just to see if that's the problem before you buy one.
How far is it.
Twice it's length from halfway.
soundmanjim
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by soundmanjim »

Hi Zodiac.

unfortunately no.

As an update however, i seem to have cured it by squeezing the thing as hard as i could between thumb and forefinger. pretty sure its a dry joint now.

where are the e chips available from and how much do they cost roughly?

regards

jim
zodiac
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by zodiac »

You could try Richard at Truck-King, he may be able to help you.
01636 676 898
Tell him Dave in Oldham gave you his number.
How far is it.
Twice it's length from halfway.
angusuk
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by angusuk »

ok if it works when you press it together just put 2 or 3 tiewraps round it and pack as needed that will probly work for years to come,and you will save some pennys,