Midland 70-099

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
side-show-bob
First Name: Rob

Midland 70-099

Post by side-show-bob »

Hi all me and a mate bought a pair of Midland 77-099 from a well know auction site, it said that they were both in working order if not a little bit worn..

So we set about and fitted them into our Discos to be used whilst out and about green laneing etc.

My set-up is as follows:

Unit up in the roof in the map pocket powered from the interior light supply, then its a short run of RG58 cable with a clamp fit PL259 on either end, to a:

Base-loaded CB Mini Tornado Stinger Antenna
Frequency: 27-28 MHz
Power: 1000W
SWR: 1.5:1
Fitting: standard 3/8
Length: 88cm

When i do a SWR reading i hook up the meter as described in the instructions and carry out the test, turning the "CAL" knob doesn't do anything and when i take readings on different channels the needle move ever so slightly above 1. The SWR meter is:

Moonraker SWR-100 CB meter
Frequency: 26-30MHz; impedance: 50 OHMS; connection: 2 X SO239 sockets

when i turn the Midland on when it is all connected to the antenna and not the SWR i get power and a very faint static noise if i turn the squelch to about half way, but you need to put your ear near the speaker to hear it.

I am now at a loss as to what to do next, i have been told to get the unit tested but i cant find anyone near me to take it to (Kent), can i start testing the unit myself i have a multimeter and access to some other equipment if needed, i just need a place to start really..

Thanks

Rob