Voltage dropping out when checking 2SB754

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
Pepe Le Pew
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Michael

Voltage dropping out when checking 2SB754

Post by Pepe Le Pew »

Radio Make and Model: Superstar 3900 gold
PCB Number: ept360014b
PLL Number: mc145106p
Test gear available: dmm, pdc600 watt meter, freq counter
Symptoms: I'm upgrading the stock 2sb754 to an NTE37 (or 2sb817 equivalent). Anyways, when I checked the collector output of this transistor the voltage starts immediately falling when the positive test lead of my dmm is connected to it. sort of a slow fall, reminds me of a cap dis-charging. so of course the voltage is falling on the mirror board as well. anyone run into this before? I have also upgraded 2sa473 to an NTE153, and finally I did the 1n6263 schottky diode and 2sc2999 upgrade for better receive.

What is working: everything works at this point, as far as i can tell.

What has been tried:

Did it suddenly happen ?: unknown, this is not my radio. it's supposed to be new old stock.
Anything else that may be of help?:
hackindave
Dead Key
Dead Key

Re: Voltage dropping out when checking 2SB754

Post by hackindave »

Do you have a older vtvm that you could use? I have found that some of the newer meters will give false reading as they load resistance/capacitance when they read. I have and old Health kit VTVM and that is what I use most of them, unless I am out in a mobile checking stuff, the a portable meter is great..
Pepe Le Pew
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Michael

Re: Voltage dropping out when checking 2SB754

Post by Pepe Le Pew »

Turns out it was just the Hall effect. Transfered my negative lead from board ground to chassis ground, and my readings were constant. Thanks for your interest.