galaxy 959 coil chain problem in receive

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
9Lives
First Name: Grant

galaxy 959 coil chain problem in receive

Post by 9Lives »

Radio Make and Model: galaxy 959
PCB Number:
PLL Number:
Test gear available: scope, bird, dmm
Symptoms: l5, 6, 7 no rf gain

What is working: see below

What has been tried: belle

Did it suddenly happen ?:
Anything else that may be of help?:

I don't have much of the info on me. I'm fairly skilled. Just blew it this time. I had a crushed core in l7. And five. L7 was damaged so I removed and replaced with a coil from a different radio. While tuning I ran it down to low and saw a spark.. I suspected the set of fets and replaced with 2sk117. Nut perfect match but should work?..also suspected rf amp so replaced with a removed transistor from a148 I had. The coils are um effected. Voltage on fets. L8 is non effected and rf gain pot is null. There is an area around the coils that has no voltage.

Tx is fine. This stemmed from whatever I did at l7. Diodes attached to fets seem to be ok but inductor side of l8 0 volts and after. Please help, I'll be more thorough later. On the go. Thanks in advance
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Re: galaxy 959 coil chain problem in receive

Post by timrim »

Was the original FET a SK45?
9Lives
First Name: Grant

Re: galaxy 959 coil chain problem in receive

Post by 9Lives »

No they were j310. Before I understood I used a wrong trimming coil. I was adjusting l7 and saw 2 sparks. I figured it was the gates.