got my new 4300hp, and i want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For discussions dealing with CB Radio Amplifiers.
greasemonkey85
Dead Key
Dead Key

got my new 4300hp, and i want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by greasemonkey85 »

well i just got a connex 4300hp and after peak and tune this is what it does.... low side keys at 5 watts and swings to 80 watts, on the high side it keys at 20 watts and and swings a little over 80 watts. sounds real good, but i would like more. the guy i bought the radio from sells the fatboys (helps make them too) and wants me to get one from him for $215 and says i will get 450 to 500 watts out of it, he will have to take the variable out of it. why? any other recommendations? that is my goal to have 500 watts. i have a (work truck) 2006 chevy 3500 with the duramax and 2 batteries, so power shouldn t be a problem. i was also looking at polamar, and east coast which i can get local. what are your guys ideas?

here is my setup: any more suggestions? with the new radio i also upgraded from a wilson silver load to the 2000.
4300hp
rg8x coax
wilson 2000 antenna
astatic 600 swr/power/mod meter
kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

You're going to need something that can take a fair ammount of input.

How much RMS power is your rig outputing. That's the real question. Once you atart talking linears, you have real power and don't have to fool yourself with the whole PEP wattage measurment.

So get an amp with about 4 2sc2879s in it. Stay away from the 2sd1446.

You need a real linear.
Show me the Linears!
greasemonkey85
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by greasemonkey85 »

well rms is 55 to 60 watts.
kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

You need a big ass amplifier with that much output power.

Look for something around the lines of 700 to 1KW
Show me the Linears!
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

Hi Grease Monkey..

Why is it that everybody wants to use a BIG radio with a small amplifier?

Consider that most single-stage amplifiers (one without a built-in driver stage) will multiply the radio's power by a factor of roughly ten-to-one.

This suggests an amplifier with about 800 Watts peak output. That radio should be a good match for an amplifier with eight transistors.

On the other hand, if the radio only put out half that much, it would be a good match for a four-transistor amplifier like the Texas Star DX500.

Your radio is about twice as big as that size amplifier calls for.

The only way to make a smaller amplifier work with that radio would be to modify the amplifier's input circuit. Setting up a four-transistor amplifier with attenuator resistors that would "lose" about half the radio's drive power would make it compatible with that radio.

That radio should be good news for folks who sell amplifiers. I predict a lot of them will get blown to the devil with 80-Watt radios.

The bigger the radio, the bigger the 'smallest' amplifier is that it matches up to without having to customize it.

kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

Yup. My 2970 is a little much for my AL-811H Ameritron amp.

But it's tube type, so you can get away with drving it a little hard. Also, I can get tubes pretty cheap and they just pop right in.

Honestly though. A 300 watt linear isn;t going to do any more for you then the power oputput of that radio alone. You have to go big to get a binnefit over 100 or so watts.

If a hundred watts won't get me there, then 800 probably won't either.

Of course, I don't rag chew on AM that much. I'm s USB feller.

i can key 25 watts and swing to above 600. And that's RMS. I average 1200 PEP (CB Watts :lol: )
Show me the Linears!