Suggestions from the knowledgable people

For discussions dealing with CB Radio Amplifiers.
fxdbobber

Suggestions from the knowledgable people

Post by fxdbobber »

I'm trying to decide if I should add an amp, tweak my radio, or upgrade. I currently use a cobra 29 nw ltd. I get told it sounds real good but anything out of a mile I can't broadcast or recieve. This radio is unmolested in any way. I'm driving a company truck and don't really want to modify alot but do have some leway. Any suggestions would be great.
booger351
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by booger351 »

29's are a pretty decent mobile they can take a beating, I think the antenna is the most important part of your set up, if your not doing anything farther than 1 mile I would start there.
zeppfrog
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by zeppfrog »

if you are receiving ok over a mile, (and you have a decent antenna setup) I would do the 2sc1969 mod to your ltd. if you are a decent solderer and can get the parts (rf parts or others online) its pretty inexpensive. To have it done costs a bit more. still the most bang for the buck in a cobra 29.
since you dont already have an amp (and they can fry some big truck computers) dont do a swing kit... be useless. just the bigger final and its added caps and resistors will get you 10 to 20 watts. crank it up for max carrier and mod and you should get several more miles out there, depending on your landscape.

absolutely make sure you have good swrs on your antennas so you dont burn up your new final.
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

suggestions

Post by WARLORD136 »

you can have a radio doing 200 watts, but if your coax, antenna, and ground aren't good, you may as well open the window and yell. in short, the radio is only as good as your coax , antenna,swr, and ground. if it can't get out, you are wastin' your time. get it peaked & tuned by a reputable shop, not the first one you find. ask around, if someone has a good sounding radio, ask where the work was done. stay away from people who go from one shop to another. as an ex-driver i know a couple of good shops around the country.and would be glad to share them with you. a stock radio can put out 20 watts after a good peak & tune, as i said, a reliable cb shop. good luck, and happy hunting.
WARLORD 136 <> some people are affraid of the dark---some are affraid to leave it<>