RM KLV350 PROBLEMS

For discussions dealing with CB Radio Amplifiers.
daveyboy

RM KLV350 PROBLEMS

Post by daveyboy »

Im using a Superstar360 with a variable power mod hooked up to a RM KLV350 amp. The proplem i have is when i adjust the power from the radio to 4 watts i key up and the relay in the amp starts to click rapidly and will only stop if i switch it back to stand-by. this happens not only on am + fm but also on ssb.
now the weird thing is if i use the amp with a standard 40 channel 4 watt rig it works like a dream.
i have checked my coax, antenna (a99) and power supply (20 amp max) and all seems ok.
Can anyone please help with a possable solution
daveyboy
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: RM KLV350 Problem.

Post by Rick »

Have you check the SWR each side of the amp with the amp off and on.

The KLV350 amp will take an input of 1 to 10 watts.

If the amp is new take it back and have it tested it may have a fault.
Rick.
fuzz23

hope this helps

Post by fuzz23 »

try turning up your carrier about a watt or 2 it seems its not high enough as if you dont put in enough wattage the relays will click rapidly try that and let me know how it goes 3s :D
there are 3 types of people in this world those who can count and those who cant
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

cheers for the tips i've sorted it. it seems that the problem with the superstar was that too much rf was being reflected back through the coax making the relay in the burner lose its mind. to stop this all i did was fit a standard pl259 connecter in the coax between the rig and burner. its working like a dream now and im absolutly booming out. i can vary the power output from the rig up to 15 watts. using 10 watts i can push about 180 watts on fm out of the burner no problem.
daveyboy
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

rm klv amps

Post by WARLORD136 »

i have had a couple of rm mobile amps and they both had issues. the first did the same as yours and i switched for another with higher wattage, might have been a 350, i'm not sure. anyhow , i did not have any luck with that one either. i sold it and put my texas star 500v back in. i'm not saying they are not good amps, i was driving otr and didn't have time to fool with all that mess as it was my busy season. it's always busy season.
WARLORD 136 <> some people are affraid of the dark---some are affraid to leave it<>