Texas Star DX250

For discussions dealing with CB Radio Amplifiers.
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Texas Star DX250

Post by captian_radio »

Well my DX250 quit today,symptoms are preamp works but when I run some RF into it it shuts off and will come back on in a min or 2.When I say shuts off I mean it is as if it was turned off almost like a reset.Fuses are good and connections to the battery are fine.Do these amps have a problem with the keying transistor going bad? Never seen this happen before usually when something is dead its dead but this will come back on after I shut it off for 1 min but when keyed with the radio it completely shuts off!!! Any ideas?
Tnx Bob
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Texas Star DX250

Post by captian_radio »

Wheres all the amp techies at?
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Texas Star DX250

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

Does this amp have an inline blade fuseholder on the positive lead? If so, discard it, and put in a good inline cylindrical fuseholder instead. I've had a couple friends that had the exact same problem you had, both times it was a bad connection in the inline blade fuseholder. If anything else, try the amp without a fuse inline, and see how it acts.

Let us know how you do.

-Exit
"You need to adjust that sideband. You're sounding a little daffy." -John "the 395" (Cobra Kid)
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Texas Star DX250

Post by captian_radio »

Ok found the problem,I forgot that I had 2 fuses in the plus line,1 near the battery and 1 at the back of the amp plus the negative also,the 1 near the amp had very high resistance which acted as a thermistor cutting off the supply,and tnx for the info on the fuse,I did forget that it was even there
Bob