Cobra 19 DX-IV

Forum for technicians, to bounce ideas off each other.
RodK

Cobra 19 DX-IV

Post by RodK »

I have two (2) 19 DX-IV CB's that receive just fine, but the transmit audio is VERY distorted.

I've checked the Forward power (4-Watts) and Reflected power (0-Watts) so the antenna checks fine.

The supply voltage to the radio is within specs (14.1 VDC). These findings are the same with BOTH vehicles.

So I had the department buy two new ones and they are doing the same thing. Even on my work bench they sound GREATLY over modulated!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am going to take them to the dealer and have him check them out as well. But I was wanting to hear if anyone else experienced the same issues.

Thanks!

Rod
ramblingman
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by ramblingman »

hi rod,,and welcome to the forum...i bought one of these cobra 19 dx iv from a local walmart here in mississippi.and i found the same thing you are describing with yours is wrong with this one.tx audio is very distorted,rx is fine..i tryed different mics,with no success..my antenna is also a 1.2 s.w.r..and i hooked it up on my base antenna,and power supply,,same thing distorted audio...so i just boxed it back up and threw it in the corner..and got me a uniden pro 510 xl..no problems with this one..it is a very good talking and receiving little radio....if you can locate one they are well worth the money...small compact,,very good tx audio,,good receive...
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

cobra dx 19

Post by WARLORD136 »

howdy, guys, i have a dx 19 iv and am getting 19 watts on a swing on a dosy 4002 psw. there is no distortion with my radio. maybe the dates of assembly have something to do with this. maybe its a run of bad boards,who knows? you may be able to fix this. maybe(i like this word,does it show?) the pre amp or the final is being over-driven? good for my guitar amps, bad for vocal audio. had to add my 2 cents. adios,amigos!!!!!
WARLORD 136 <> some people are affraid of the dark---some are affraid to leave it<>
tdill49
First Name: terry

Re: Cobra 19 DX-IV

Post by tdill49 »

They SUCK Peroid :banghead: