Which of the following 2 scopes would you buy?

Forum for technicians, to bounce ideas off each other.
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

I am planning to purchase one of the following oscilloscopes in the near future, my current analog scope has served me well for over 10 years, but with current scope technology, I have decided to buy a DSO.

Which of the following 2 scopes would you buy, and why?

LeCroy WaveJet 324
http://www.lecroy.com/shopper/configure ... rodid=1263

or

Tektronics TDS2024B
http://www2.tek.com/cmswpt/psdetails.lo ... =psu&lc=EN

I would like to get several opinions on this since this is an investment that I will use for many years to come. I also plan to have sales reps demo them for me in my shop, so that I can actually get a feel of them on the equipment that I service.
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

Tektronix have a very good name, I have a Tektronix scope myself, a 2432A, which is an old, but still very reliable unit.

I have not come across Lecroy before, but they seem OK too.. personally I would go with Tek.. purely because of the name.
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

There are 3 leaders in the oscilloscope / test equipment industry, Tektronics, LeCroy and Agilent. I have not yet fount an Agilent scope that has similar features, price and warranty.

Tektronics has been making oscilloscopes for over 70 years, so that is a plus, also their limited lifetime warranty on the model I am looking at is impressive, 10 years minimum as compared to 3 years with LeCroy.
LeCroy has been making oscilloscopes since 1964.
Agilent spun off from Hewlett-Packard Company in 1999.
Irate Pirate

Post by Irate Pirate »

I am waiting for the next hamfest/computer show in town to buy my new scope. I noticed last year that the prices for the same equipment were FAR lower than the "qoutes" I goty online. Another benifit of that is the oportunity to "try before ya buy" with display models -- to play with the whistles n bells, and to "Haggle" with the vendor. Who knows? I may actually BUY one this time. :)
Apha Hotel Three and I'm backout!