cobra 2000 GTL ????

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
belfiglioval
Dead Key
Dead Key

cobra 2000 GTL ????

Post by belfiglioval »

HELLO, is there any mod"s for loud modulation and better recieve for my cobra 2000 GTL ? at this point both are very weak, i am using an antron 99, im about 45ft in the air and i don"t have this problem with any other radios that i am using for base stations, thanks for any help. val,
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

I'd start with looking at the age of the radio. Around the 20 or 25-year mark some odd things begin to fail. Too bad it doesn't have an odometer like a car. The mileage is an issue, but no way to tell how many thousands of hours of running time the radio has on it.

If it says "Made in Taiwan", look at the first digit of the serial number. That should be the last digit of the year, between about 1980 and 1988 or so.

A 'weak' radio normally gets the alignment procedures done first.

Any coils that fail to peak properly would suggest an internal capacitor gone bad in that "can".

The small-diameter tuning slugs should NEVER peak with the face of the slug dead-flush with the top of the can.

If you see this, it means that you're not getting a true peak from that coil.

Only takes one to reduce the receiver sensitivity or the transmit power.

And if L20 displays this particular failure, it will cripple both.

Or, it may have two completely separate problems, one in the receiver and one in the transmitter.

The point of trying alignment first, is to get the possibility of a "golden screwdriver" out of the way. If alignment brings back the lost performance, nothing's broke.

The behavior of the tuning slugs in the alignment can be a clue. A slug that shows no peak at all can point to a fault in the circuit hooked to that coil.

I wouldn't worry too much about mods until the radio appears to be delivering normal stock performance.

Not much point to putting a nitrous bottle on an engine that's burning oil and misfiring on one cylinder.