Cobra 29 LTD FM mods?? Stumper of the century?

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
raven666
Dead Key
Dead Key

Cobra 29 LTD FM mods?? Stumper of the century?

Post by raven666 »

1. Any ideas on how to get the radio into an FM mode that might be switchable? I know that you can pull the line from the mic and it goes somewhere around the crystal circuit to make it go FM.

2. Anyone know the secret of the PLL chip and the extra channels?
raven666
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by raven666 »

Ok - I found the PLL chip in the Cobra 25's and 29's is a turd that you can't do much with aside from excite the receive. Still working on the FM part.
RedEye
Light User
Light User

Post by RedEye »

Both the 29 and 25 (US ver.) have an am audio chip, you cant pull FM without more mods than cost making it worthwhile. It might be useful overseas, but not a ton of action here in the states....

Rick would know the way to do it though!
Last edited by RedEye on Friday 9th May 2008, 1:10, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Cobra 29 LTD FM mods.

Post by Rick »

It is easy to add FM to most radios using a 455 KHz IF.
You just need a 455 Mod-demod module which can be obtained from Spectrum Communications www.spectrumcomms.co.uk/cbkits.htm#FM455

If you have any trouble, obtaining one from Spectrum, let me know as I think I still have one in stock.
Rick.
raven666
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by raven666 »

Rick wrote:It is easy to add FM to most radios using a 455 KHz IF.
You just need a 455 Mod-demod module which can be obtained from Spectrum Communications www.spectrumcomms.co.uk/cbkits.htm#FM455

If you have any trouble, obtaining one from Spectrum, let me know as I think I still have one in stock.
Thanks for the info. I am still trying to get through the 2030 mosfet mod. After about 100 swear words I made a $100 paper weight. Mine has the symptoms of some others I have seen here in the other threads. Wish someone would write a clear neat way to get this mod done successfully. 1-6watt is boring and I had 6 watt before I started on the stock final.
KC7NOA
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Mike

Post by KC7NOA »

Rick wrote:It is easy to add FM to most radios using a 455 KHz IF.
You just need a 455 Mod-demod module which can be obtained from Spectrum Communications http://www.spectrumcomms.co.uk/cbkits.htm#FM455

Still have that FM455? Or a schematic?
camila
First Name: camila

Re: Cobra 29 LTD FM mods?? Stumper of the century?

Post by camila »

I'm having the same issue. It's too high pitched. Did you ever figure anything out?
We provide guarantee to pass NS0-155 braindumps gmat with online exam training testking itil and Princeton University , you can also get best quality ACCA along with selftestengine mcat for your guaranteed success.