RCI 2950 Non DX Receive Mod.

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
thundir
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by thundir »

Hi Im planing on doing this mod to my Ranger RCI 2950 old school non DX ,Placing a 2sc2999 Transistor that replaces the RF Amp Trans and four Schottky diodes that replace the RX diodes and the NB/ANL Diodes. This is said to quiets the receive while giving you up to 6DB of receiver gain. Just wondering will There have to an alighnment to the receive afterwards or is it a plug and solder deal. Thanks........... :D
hamguy2
Light User
Light User

why didnt the 2950 come out with a notch and rf shift

Post by hamguy2 »

thats an extra 6db of noise youll get after the mod ,the 2950s need a few things done to them 1 is a channel rejection or ti filter you install that and that makes the band wider on rx getting rid of unwanted noise hetrodyne etc ,also they should have worked on the display more the 2510 are a better radio than the 2950 to look at ,the best ranger i seen was the ar3500 ,regards hamguy2 nsw australia :D
thundir
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by thundir »

Hi Ham Guy. I heard that this Transistor has a quieter floor noise. A built in filter to eliminate the hash and trash while allowing just the clean transmitting signal to come in .
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: RCI 2950 Non DX Receive Mod.

Post by Rick »

There is no way to improve the dynamic range of any CB type radio by 6db, this figure as been band around the Internet for the few years and by some people who have not done any test. See www.radiomods.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1188 as you may gleam some more info there.

You will see some improvement of .3 to 1db in what is known at floor noise in some cases this is a good improvement but in general, it is not worth the effort, and after doing the modification, you would need to realign the radio using a RF signal generator and SINAD meter.

The only radios, which may gain some improvement with the 2SC2999 and diode modification, are the old CB type pre 1987 but not all of them.
Rick.
hamguy2
Light User
Light User

hi rick

Post by hamguy2 »

hi rick, that truckshop you give me info on about the crystal ,he was wondering was there any other parts than just the xtal that needed adding ,he asked me to ask you about that any resistors diodes etc or is it just the xtal you told me about needs fitting to fix up 26mhz ,thx hamguy2 nsw
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: hi rick

Post by Rick »

hamguy2 wrote:hi rick, that truckshop you give me info on about the crystal ,he was wondering was there any other parts than just the xtal that needed adding ,he asked me to ask you about that any resistors diodes etc or is it just the xtal you told me about needs fitting to fix up 26mhz ,thx hamguy2 nsw
Cross posting just gets you ignored.
Keep in the post you started with.
Rick.
thundir
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by thundir »

Hey Thanks Rick. I appreciate the Info.......................John..................... 8)
johhn
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johhn »

2950-no dx , Ranger has all you could ever want,on its webb
Under tech tips man. A list to improve. Next cut off your mounting bracket knobs, they push the cap.breaking the board..
thundir
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by thundir »

Thanks for the info there about mounting bracket knobs, they push the cap.breaking the board..Will look into that as well............. :)
chip3655

Post by chip3655 »

I have done this mod to my 2950 that i run in my pickup and to my Galaxy 2527 base (same board). I can say i am very pleased with the outcome. It has significantly lowed the "white noise", more noticeably in the mobile. Is a mod that costs under 8$ in parts worth it? Absolutely. Also - There is NO realigning necessary after this mod - NONE. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.