Cobra 142GTL

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
Macgyver

Cobra 142GTL

Post by Macgyver »

I just bought a Cobra 142 and the guy didn't know much about it. There was a sheet taped to the top of the radio and I have a few questions about it and was wondering if anyone could help.
here's what the sheet says,

5KC Drop= the CB&PA switch in the PA position
Then the three position ANL/NB switch gives you your different channels. Down is channel 41-80.
Middle is 1-40 the regular CB frequency's.
Then up gives you 40 more channels.
I don't understand what the 5KC drop means. And why would someone use the CB/PA and the ANL/NB switches. Does this mean that the ANL/NB is no longer functional?
Basically I don't see what the point of the CB/PA switch having the "5KC drop" when the ANL/NB switch is what gives you your extra channels.
Any thoughts on this would be helpful.
Thanks
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cobra 142GTL

Post by The Defpom »

5KHz is in between channels, so although the main mod gives you more bands of channels, the 5KHz shift gives you an OFFSET that is between channels.

a 5KHz shift is probably over kill, and I doubt you would use it, but over here in NZ (and probably Australia) it comes in handy, as the NZ band is 635KHz below the FCC band (63.5 channels) so radios that switch between both bands ideally need to have a 5KHz shift too.
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Cobra 142GTL

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

I'm willing to bet that although the NB/ANL switch is being used for the 5khz drop modification, that the NB/ANL is functional on the radio, most likely it's "hard-wired" so the NB/ANL are on all the time.

That's pretty common practice if the person performing the modifications decided to use the switches on the radio VS. installing switches for the extra channels.

Cheers!

-Exit
"You need to adjust that sideband. You're sounding a little daffy." -John "the 395" (Cobra Kid)