Pearce simpson super lion mk 2 info

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
kingpin007
First Name: brad

Pearce simpson super lion mk 2 info

Post by kingpin007 »

I recently bought a old super lion mk2 and got it up and running fine except people on 35 lower sideband said was off frequency somewhat and I heard about a clarifier mod that would fix this issue ..

can anyone point me in the right direction ... I am fairly good with a soldering iron .. lol

just need a diagram or similar ..

if anyone can help be awesome ..

here is a photo of inside the radio -->

http://postimg.org/image/psin7tbb9/full/

thanks..
lbcomms
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Pearce simpson super lion mk 2 info

Post by lbcomms »

They have the same innards as the Lankar DW-1200, read all about it at http://www.radiomods.co.nz/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=3045 Sorry you'll have to manually copy and paste it into a browser, the board has disabled inserting links into a post...

Frequency adjustment:

The 3 cans circled in blue set the Rx / Tx frequency - USB is usually the middle one, the outer ones are AM and LSB, not necessarily in that order.

The trimpot circled in red sets it on TX only. Set the cans for 12-o-clock on receive, then adjust the trimpot so you are transmitting on frequency.
I am fairly good with a soldering iron
A frequency counter and a multimeter are much more useful here :)

Good luck...
kingpin007
First Name: brad

Post by kingpin007 »

thanks for your help...

Ok went to my uncles .. he had good freq counter a lab type one ....let me borrow ir for few hours .. let the radio and freq counter warm up for 10mins .. and the cb radio was out by a bit ..

AM is left can (red) .. middle can (red) LSB..next can (green)is not USB so i returned it to exactly where it was .. next can (RED) is USB

adjusted them in very small turns and got AM dead on freq .. usb and lsb was alot harder but i set clarifier on 12 oclock and got other stations sounding perfect ...

I also had to adjust the TX a touch ..

got radio check and was told radio sounds alot better ... the USB and LSB you can do by ear .. i have two stations very close who have yaesu or digital radios so they are good to go by ..they push 30's to me so i kept tinkering and got them sounding perfect ..

I did not touch the other cans .. what are they for ?
lbcomms
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by lbcomms »

The middle can is usually USB - guess you found one of the not so usual ones :o

Good to see you got it better. Don't go for perfection with this radio, if you get it "spot on" on Mondays it will drift a bit by Tuesday... if you want drift free buy a better radio.
I did not touch the other cans .. what are they for ?
Hmmm, where do we start? IF Carrier oscillator frequency, IF alignment, mixer alignments (one for transmit, one for receive), RF stage alignment, tank circuits, output stage low pass filter, squelch thresholds, meter FSD adjustments, carrier level, SSB ALC, and AM AMC alignment. Plus any others I've forgotten about in the 10 years since we last saw one of those things in the workshop.

Resist the temptation to randomly "twiddle" in the hope of improving the radio if it's working OK, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

At best, you won't get any improvement, and at worst you'll be sending it on a trip to someone like myself who will only be too happy (with $$$) to put them all back in the right place :D

PS: Found a schematic if you are interested...

Cheers