uniden pc78 elite

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
thetnhillbilly
Dead Key
Dead Key

uniden pc78 elite

Post by thetnhillbilly »

I read the mods at http://www.dtbradio.com/tips but I guess i need things dumbed down for me, because I don't know the lingo and am not very technical. It says to do the same as the cobra 29 with the exception of removing capacitors. Is this the best mod? I see where it says to add capacitors, but not remove them. Do I do exactly as I says for the 29? If not what, specifically do I omit? If you could rewrite it with only what I need for the pc78, that would be ideal. Also, being new I have trouble with the language. When it says "solder a jumper across" doesn't that create a short across that part of the circuit? Do I replace the part with the jumper, or add the jumper to it? Same question regarding the caps. I'm really sorry if these are just really simple questions to you and waste your time, but I want to do this right.
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

Umm, I would recommend holding out for a description that's edited to agree with the part layout and ID markings in your radio.

"Same as the Cobra 29" means looking at the schematic diagram for each, and "translating" parts that have the same function in each model. Trouble is, part number and 'callout' numbers won't agree. A true step-by-step procedure should already be "dumbed down" with specific descriptions of each part's location, appearance, and any callout ID numbers screen-printed on the component side of the circuit board. But I have an attitude. I admit it.

But a tech with all that data at hand will probably not have trouble "translating" from one model to the other.

I don't recommend "translating" for beginners. Just don't know where to send you for the kind of instructions you need. Lotsa hastily-written stuff with typos in it on the web, but not so much well thought-out material, with all the typos proofread and corrected.

I should speak to David about those "tips". At least to suggest that he mention the minimum setup (including diagrams) and tools you should have before jumping into that prodedure. A disclaimer, or some such. If the only tool you have is a multimeter, I'd recommend skipping that one.

What improvements to that radio are you trying to achieve?

thetnhillbilly
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by thetnhillbilly »

I'm running barefoot, but want as much transmit and recieve as possible. I am not needing to add channels or anything that complicated. I'm not a complete idiot, if someone said "replace part A with part B", I could do that. I think that you are right about translating being over my head, but I had read other posts asking about the pc78 and the replies often refered them to dtbradio.com saying they had good results. I don't have a stocked radio shack- just a dummy load, modulation light, swr meter, alignment tools, and multimeter. Thanks for your advice, I'll keep waiting.