Marine antenna

A section for Marine radios, VHF and UHF radios, for all types of discussions dealing with these types.
JOHNNY BE GOOD
Dead Key
Dead Key

Marine antenna

Post by JOHNNY BE GOOD »

Does anyone know if running a ground wire to the antenna base of a non ground plane fiberglass Shakespere marine antenna to the stainless steel handrail that surrounds a 28' fiberglass boat would help on the receive being the antenna is mounted to fiberglass. Thanks John
kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

Marine antennas use the ocean as a ground plane.
Show me the Linears!
JOHNNY BE GOOD
Dead Key
Dead Key

Marine antenna

Post by JOHNNY BE GOOD »

Thanks kc8mob makes sence to me I'm actually on the Monongahela river 30 mile south of Pittsburgh but I'm sure its the same principle. I'm allways in a deep valley with high hillsides on both sides so I'm allways looking for better ways to get good reception out of the deep hole and read someware that vhf signal is pretty much line of sight .Thanks John
Studio1
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Studio1 »

Your best solution in that case would be HF.

You are correct in assuming that VHF is fairly line of sight - if you are in a valley surrounded by hills there is little you can do to improve your signal either in RX or TX.
kate
First Name: kate

Re: Marine antenna

Post by kate »

The fault is most like to be on the PRT Unit, which is at the bottom for the radio just above the battery connectors, as this PCB is SMT board when I get one in with this fault I just replace the PRT Unit.

If you want to do some digging around on the PRT check Q1, D1, and D2 if you have a later W2 check R4 as maybe open.