Allo allo allo test test test 123

This is a place for you to say hello to people.
JustCB
First Name: Tony

Allo allo allo test test test 123

Post by JustCB »

Allo allo allo test test test 123, Can anyone hear me on my CB Cmon!

Sorry, had to get that out of my brain....

G'day, Im Tony and im near enough to 50 years young.

I was recently going through some very old boxes and found the remnants of my CB collection of old.

1 x President AX144 sans Mic

1 x Phillips DeafM 320 with curious looking 3 pozzy micro switch and yet it still has the Belling lee ant socket on the back.

Numerous PL259 patch leads

An ancient Damaged Micronta SWR/Pwr meter

A well chewed copy of Idiots guide to CB radio.

So as a bloke is prone to doing I popped on the PC and hit Google looking for Mic pinouts to fix the old Prez and ended up here amongst other places.

1981 I bought my first CB from a mate, a Jonston Viking 352D 858 rig that "Didn't work all the time" and that was fine and eventually I was told about Dry Solder joints so I invested in a basic solder station, Solder wick and a solder sucker and learned that application of heat could either fix of fault circuitry..........

Eventually the unit was sorted and the fun began with track cutting and micro switches, 10kc sliders etc but the poor old JV just wasnt coping well out of band so I sold the old boy on and bought a Dick Smith Hornet 2 which stubbornly refused to be modded.

I then found the UFO Digiscan and my youthful lust for nortiness was sated for a while and by now id bought a car and the required 9 foot stainless aerials and off I buggered to Mt Dandenong to annoy the denizens of Sky High Carpark and Bourkes lookout where the TV Towers sat.

Life got busier and busier and I packed up my CB's and forgot about them for a small while, changed cars a few times and didn't bother to turn them into RF soaked Porcupines feared by Service station Fluro tubes....

Then I found my way back but this time with UHF CB in an attempt to enjoy the hobby again without all the noise on 27meg but as I didnt really understand UHF at the time it was short lived and once again the stuff got packed away.

Haunting repeaters wasnt my thing and if you couldnt chat to blokes fishing in the Gulf of Carpentaria from Melb or stir the Taswegians about how they do a lot of involuntary swimming by carelessly taking a few too many steps in either direction while chasing their sisters then I was over it all.

So, I opened the cartons and thought I wonder how 27 meg is faring these days and living a fair whack from Melbourne I figured that it had to have improved as all the 4wd's I knew of these days had UHF sets so the PITA kids that used to go play with the CB were doing it well away from 27 meg.
JustCB
First Name: Tony

Re: Allo allo allo test test test 123

Post by JustCB »

So playing with the AX144 it seemed a bit quiet, Id hooked the thing up to an old ZCG aerial bolted to a base on the farm ute and then I remembered "Lending" it to my Sisters Boyfriend of old and it coming back to me with blown finals.

So not knowing who if anybody repairs these things in the 21st century I pop on eBay and go looking for a new or 2nd hand unit as id checked tricky dickie and Jaycar and they only had UHF stuff and not a thing for the old HF radio.

And in the process of ebaying acquired a GE "A" Model and a "B" Model because I seem to remember their being the cream of the crop.

SO! Thats my Sordid CB history to date...

Im kind of gobsmacked at the sheer lack of 27meg stuff in retail shops In Oz and im contemplating buying more stuff from Pomgolia like the Italian SWR meter I picked up recently.

Cheers,
Tony