President Adams Radio Information needed.

For discussions on CB Radio Alignment and Tuning
Post Reply
NightRanger3151
Dead Key
Dead Key
Posts: 49
Joined: Tuesday 15th Jan 2008, 11:57
Location: Vandalia, Missouri

President Adams Radio Information needed.

Post by NightRanger3151 » Thursday 6th Mar 2008, 4:04

Does anyone have any info on the President Adams AM/SSB radio? I have one and would like the schematics and adjustment locations for it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to align the clarifier back to center. The clarifier on this radio need to be turned all the way to the right to work on AM and even then it's not quite enough. (Not sure about SSB yet).

I also noticed a diode had been cut from D32 and would like to know more about what that is too.

Uncle Ray
Dead Key
Dead Key
Posts: 49
Joined: Sunday 21st Aug 2005, 16:22
Location: Melbourne

Post by Uncle Ray » Sunday 9th Mar 2008, 14:33

Hi mate , go to

cbtricks.com and download the Realistic trc449 diagram. Its pretty much the same.
PS , part numbers may differ BUT you'll work it out.
;)

zodiac
Technical Helper
Technical Helper
Posts: 319
Joined: Sunday 7th Nov 2004, 13:58
Location: UK

Post by zodiac » Saturday 7th Jun 2008, 13:56

NightRanger,
It may be a bit late but D32 in the MK2 Adams PC 346 is part of clarifier being unlocked and that may be reason your having trouble getting on frequency.
The full unlock.
Desolder one end of R117, D30 and lift them out of the holes or remove them both.
Remove the wire from next to C110 (Brown and White), this wire comes from the clarifier control. put it to a constant voltage, there is a 9v rail at the front of the radio to the right of R161. Looking from the track side of the board R161 is a 1w 56ohm resistor.
This voltage may be too high so you will need to add a resistor to bring it to the amount of shift you require.
Or use 5 volt if you find you cannot get the radio on frequency again.
I added another varactor diode in series with the original ones of the same value to all three varactors to bring the radio back on frequency again.
Unlocking the clarifier this way you don't need to remove D32.

If I remember right TC6 is for USB TX and RX and AM TX.
TC5 is LSB TX and RX and CT 4 is AM RX only.
Hope this helps you out if you haven't done it by now.
How far is it.
Twice it's length from halfway.

DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Monday 24th Sep 2007, 7:27
Location: ENGLAND

Post by DIRTY HARRY » Monday 7th Jul 2008, 6:05

zodiac wrote:NightRanger,
It may be a bit late but D32 in the MK2 Adams PC 346 is part of clarifier being unlocked and that may be reason your having trouble getting on frequency.
The full unlock.
Desolder one end of R117, D30 and lift them out of the holes or remove them both.
Remove the wire from next to C110 (Brown and White), this wire comes from the clarifier control. put it to a constant voltage, there is a 9v rail at the front of the radio to the right of R161. Looking from the track side of the board R161 is a 1w 56ohm resistor.
This voltage may be too high so you will need to add a resistor to bring it to the amount of shift you require.
Or use 5 volt if you find you cannot get the radio on frequency again.
I added another varactor diode in series with the original ones of the same value to all three varactors to bring the radio back on frequency again.
Unlocking the clarifier this way you don't need to remove D32.

If I remember right TC6 is for USB TX and RX and AM TX.
TC5 is LSB TX and RX and CT 4 is AM RX only.
Hope this helps you out if you haven't done it by now.
Hi zodiac :D what is the maximum amount of slide either side of the 12'o clock position with this mod mate? cheers in advance,Shaun :D

zodiac
Technical Helper
Technical Helper
Posts: 319
Joined: Sunday 7th Nov 2004, 13:58
Location: UK

Post by zodiac » Monday 7th Jul 2008, 9:46

Shaun,
It's been a long time now but I think it's only about 3.1/2 KC's in total without having to change or add components.
How far is it.
Twice it's length from halfway.

DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Monday 24th Sep 2007, 7:27
Location: ENGLAND

Post by DIRTY HARRY » Tuesday 8th Jul 2008, 2:40

Hi zodiac & cheers for getting back to me,o.k if thats only how far it slides then its not worth doing for me, was hoping it would slide 5kc either side, i was doing a google search & came by this...

Cool radio hack #2: A President Adams CB radio, 40 channel, 858 SSB chassis. The 858 PLL is capable of 400 channels. I replaced the 10.240Mhz crystal with a 5.120Mhz crystal, so I could get 5kc steps out of the PLL


do you think this would work for me to then be able to get on the zero's aswell as the normal channels? cheers again,Shaun :D

zodiac
Technical Helper
Technical Helper
Posts: 319
Joined: Sunday 7th Nov 2004, 13:58
Location: UK

Post by zodiac » Tuesday 8th Jul 2008, 10:38

But how do you get on the 5's, you'll only have the zero's.
You'd need to be able to switch from one to the other not just replace it.
How far is it.
Twice it's length from halfway.

DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Monday 24th Sep 2007, 7:27
Location: ENGLAND

Post by DIRTY HARRY » Thursday 10th Jul 2008, 1:58

zodiac wrote:But how do you get on the 5's, you'll only have the zero's.
You'd need to be able to switch from one to the other not just replace it.
Good point zodiac, so if i just exchanged the 10.240mhz crystal with a 5.120mhz one would it definetly just transmit on the zero's only? as im not well up on how crystals behave etc,cheers,Shaun :D

User avatar
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sunday 4th Jun 2006, 12:52
Location: UK

Re: President Adams Radio Information needed.

Post by Rick » Thursday 10th Jul 2008, 3:22

How about switching Pin 7.
Rick.

DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Monday 24th Sep 2007, 7:27
Location: ENGLAND

Re: President Adams Radio Information needed.

Post by DIRTY HARRY » Thursday 10th Jul 2008, 4:04

Rick wrote:How about switching Pin 7.
How would i do that to get it to work Rick? i aint seen that mod on the web.

User avatar
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sunday 4th Jun 2006, 12:52
Location: UK

Re: President Adams Radio Information needed.

Post by Rick » Thursday 10th Jul 2008, 6:23

This pin 7 is normally tied high.
The easy way to do this is to cut the track to pin 7 and solder a 4K7 resistor across the track you have cut, now solder a wire to the pin side of the resistor and solder a second wire to ground then solders the ends of the wires to a switch.
When the switch is switched off the radio will have 10 KHz channels and when switched on the radio will have 5 KHz channels.

I think you should start a new thread in CB Radio Modifications.
As this is a mod and not alignment question.
Rick.

DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Monday 24th Sep 2007, 7:27
Location: ENGLAND

Re: President Adams Radio Information needed.

Post by DIRTY HARRY » Thursday 10th Jul 2008, 10:16

Rick wrote:This pin 7 is normally tied high.
The easy way to do this is to cut the track to pin 7 and solder a 4K7 resistor across the track you have cut, now solder a wire to the pin side of the resistor and solder a second wire to ground then solders the ends of the wires to a switch.
When the switch is switched off the radio will have 10 KHz channels and when switched on the radio will have 5 KHz channels.
Tried it, & it gave me some of the zero's , but on lowband, the adams i have has been eprommed & no matter where i put the 3 way band switch it was stuck on lowband when i sent pin 7 to ground,not to worry i might give the crystal method a try.
Last edited by DIRTY HARRY on Thursday 10th Jul 2008, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
Posts: 54
Joined: Monday 24th Sep 2007, 7:27
Location: ENGLAND

Re: President Adams Radio Information needed.

Post by DIRTY HARRY » Thursday 10th Jul 2008, 10:17

Rick wrote:
I think you should start a new thread in CB Radio Modifications.
As this is a mod and not alignment question.
Yeah your most right to say that, just got carried away while we were on the subject of the Adams :D

hamguy2
Light User
Light User
Posts: 101
Joined: Monday 20th Oct 2008, 22:16
Location: sydney australia
Contact:

the 858 has a 5khz pin

Post by hamguy2 » Thursday 23rd Oct 2008, 13:06

hi i see your talking about the president adams cb radio i have 3 of them here 1 still in its box,the best way to put a slider or tx clarifier is when you put the wires on the regulator to give it its power to slide some wobble on ssb ,the best way is to do it i found is to install a seperate regulator on the heatsink nearby then run the wires off the regulator legs then you run them to the right sections then there no wobbles on the tx or rx. i think the regulator is a 7805 by memory if you do that you wont have any wobble troubles ,thanks hamguy2 nsw australia

hamguy2
Light User
Light User
Posts: 101
Joined: Monday 20th Oct 2008, 22:16
Location: sydney australia
Contact:

Post by hamguy2 » Monday 27th Oct 2008, 21:52

that wouldnt be full power youd have to rewind all the rf coils for tuning and tx and rx coils ,the vco in the 858 are all over the board the most ive seen them do is from 26055 to 29105 and thats 1 watt on 29mhz and the rest of the radio was only about 8 watts ssb ,thanks david

hamguy2
Light User
Light User
Posts: 101
Joined: Monday 20th Oct 2008, 22:16
Location: sydney australia
Contact:

need a plastic button for channel 9 switch

Post by hamguy2 » Tuesday 4th Nov 2008, 13:35

hey night ranger, you havent got a spare or an old adams part radio you want to sell the plastic channel 9 button off i have an adams here it works etc but i need the orange plastic button that works the channel 9 button im prepared to buy 1 off someone if they want to sell it ,thanks david nsw australia .

User avatar
13EL121
Dead Key
Dead Key
Posts: 27
Joined: Sunday 27th Apr 2008, 9:56
First Name: Ralf
Location: Germany

Post by 13EL121 » Wednesday 5th Nov 2008, 20:24

are the CH19/ CH9 not black ones? The scan & normal button are orange.

hamguy2
Light User
Light User
Posts: 101
Joined: Monday 20th Oct 2008, 22:16
Location: sydney australia
Contact:

Post by hamguy2 » Wednesday 5th Nov 2008, 20:28

both do you have any full adams dead im also after a 40 channel selector out of 1 plus the ribbon cable canb you give me a list in what youve got ill buy it off you if u want to sell them thx david

User avatar
13EL121
Dead Key
Dead Key
Posts: 27
Joined: Sunday 27th Apr 2008, 9:56
First Name: Ralf
Location: Germany

President Adams Radio Information needed.

Post by 13EL121 » Thursday 20th Nov 2008, 21:07

Hi David!
Sorry, i've no parts to sell. I have only one adams...
If i will find them i'll mail you!
73s, Ralf

Post Reply

Return to “CB Radio Alignments”