Cobra HG-A2000 antenna

For discussions dealing with CB Antenna Systems.
billyz
First Name: bill

Cobra HG-A2000 antenna

Post by billyz »

Hi,
I am a newbie , 56 year old. My son the trucker wanted a CB radio for his birthday. I got him a Cobra 29 Black chrome New, but with mods done to it. I need an antenna of course. I heard the Wilson 1000 w magnet mount (for his car) was a really good one, Trouble is I cannot find one in stock. Then I heard the new ones were being made in China and not as good as the older ones. I saw this Cobra HG-A2000 , it says it is made in USA. Is it as good as the Wilson 1000 ?
Animal
Light User
Light User

Re: Cobra HG-A2000 antenna

Post by Animal »

For all intents & purposes they're both baseloaded quarter-wave mag-mounted mobile antennas (capacitively coupled to the bodywork of the vehicle - this means there's no metal to metal contact!) & will be much of a muchness - anyone who claims they see two or three S units difference is talking out of their hat!

From experience I can vouch for the Wilson (5000 model) which has a very strong magnet, low-loss coax & will stay put at 90mph + (allegedly Officer! :angel: ) & is easily removed when not in use.

Personally, I'd go for a center or top loaded antenna directly coupled to the bodywork if performance is the primary consideration but your circumstances may differ so you need asses your own requirements before deciding.

:twisted:
You're 5 & 9 - what's your QRZ again???