PITA Interference

For any general discussions, if your posts topic matches one of the other forums do not post it in here, use the correct forum for the topic.
absorbentgnome
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

PITA Interference

Post by absorbentgnome »

One of my neighbours (not sure which one!) has some device with a poorly filtered switch mode or something in that is giving me S3.5 interference on all channels on 27Mhz. I get the interference after 5pm (i.e. when someone comes home and switches it on) until around 11-12pm in the evening, and most of the weekend. For strong stations I don't have a problem, but of course when listening to someone with S4 or less its pointless.

So what can I do about it?

Nothing most likely. So annoying though, always when I want to use the radio :(
absorbentgnome
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by absorbentgnome »

Has anyone had good results from putting snap-on ferrite cores onto the mains leads of equipment that causes interference?
TrumpyNZ
Technical Helper
Technical Helper
First Name: Mike

Post by TrumpyNZ »

Sounds like the power supply in a desktop computer, to me.
Ferrites may help reduce the interference, but I wouldn't put money on it eliminating it.
absorbentgnome
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by absorbentgnome »

TrumpyNZ wrote:Sounds like the power supply in a desktop computer, to me.
Ferrites may help reduce the interference, but I wouldn't put money on it eliminating it.
Yeah probably.

Our TV gives out a little interference, I tried ferrite rings on the mains lead and on the scart lead and it made no difference at all.

What is most annoying is the constant 50/100Hz power interference I get from 0 to 15Mhz at various intervals at +30dB. Using a balun and earth reduced all the common mode interference (which was a lot) but sadly this interference is still left. :(