SS158 EDX

For any general discussions, if your posts topic matches one of the other forums do not post it in here, use the correct forum for the topic.
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

SS158 EDX

Post by captian_radio »

I am getting a SS 158 EDX for Christmas and was wondering if there are any upgrades with exception of the frequency mod, available, and has anyone purchased one and how do you like the performance.It will be nice to be able to run on 10 and 12 meters as well as 11 from the car when the cycle starts to pick up in a year or 2.
Tnx Bob
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: SS 158 EDX

Post by Rick »

Bob,
All the ones I have worked on have been off frequency some by as much as 2 KHz on SSB, the FM modulation is a little dull but this can be sorted, it?s a bit quite down on 12 meters and up the top of 10 meters, there is also a mod to the balanced modulator before serial number S70401000. All in all the radios performance is very good.

Rick.
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

SS 158 EDX

Post by captian_radio »

Hi Rick and tnx for the reply, well the serial # on mine is 61202549, it has the blue display and 1969 finals, just got it last week but it's put away till Christmas :cry:
Bob
captian_radio
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

158 edx

Post by captian_radio »

Rick what is the mod to the balanced modulator, and what is the benefit?
Tnx Bob
frogman296
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by frogman296 »

i have heard some good things, about these radios being a sort of bang for buck type of radio