rig doctors

For any general discussions, if your posts topic matches one of the other forums do not post it in here, use the correct forum for the topic.
tonyspark
First Name: tony

rig doctors

Post by tonyspark »

when sombody says xyz has stopped working on there cb , how do you know to tell them to change abc.
or test here and here and look for a voltage of 1.67v,
have you got flow charts or is there books you get the info from?i know a lot is experience, but you must get the base fact and figures from somewhere. is there a cb bible for mending cb?
Classic CB
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Andy

Re: rig doctors

Post by Classic CB »

Hi Tony: There are a few good books on CB repair around, but in the end a lot comes down to experience & the test equipment you have available to you. A lot can be done with a good Multimeter & dummy load but for really serious repair work you need a Scope, Frequency Counter & Signal Generator as a minimum & learn how to use them for radio repair. You also need a good soldering station & if your going to work on modern stuff a Surface mount re-work station. (Altogether some serious money) & you won't get very far without Service manuals / Diagrams etc.
The simple answer is there are no easy ways to learn the Job, books can only teach you so much. Have you tried your local College for a Basic Electronics course? this would be a good start.
If you want a start on doing basic repairs on older rigs, look out for Lou Franklins Screwdriver Experts guide. It's quite interesting & easy to read, as for a bible of CB repair that tells you what voltage to look for at each point. I've been doing this since the mid 70s & I haven't seen 1 yet.
Just 1 piece of advice: If your going to start playing with the insides of rigs, buy a few old faulty ones from ebay first & practice on those. It's a bit expensive if you smoke someone elses radio.

Regards: Andy @ Classic CB (Wales)
Andyclassiccb@yahoo.com (Under CB Radio groups)