ranger 2950DX and delay on SSB?

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: andrew

ranger 2950DX and delay on SSB?

Post by 26tangomike2010 »

Radio Make and Model: ranger 2950DX
PCB Number:
PLL Number:
Test gear available:
Symptoms: Using an Astatic D104 brand new on a brand new ranger 2950 DX and on FM the audio is outstanding with very good radio reports also on SSB the same BUT the problem is there is a 1 second delay when keying up on ssb???? It can be annoying as i am used to talking straight away as soon as i key but with this problem i have to wait a sec before i speak and all other breakers i know who have ranger 2950dx dont have this problem? Can someone please shed some light on this as the radio is brandnew and all my other radios dont suffer this delay on ssb?

What is working:

What has been tried:

Did it suddenly happen ?:
Anything else that may be of help?:
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

Re: ranger 2950DX and delay on SSB?

Hi just a quick update on my previous post!
I have wired an Astatic teardop to the Ranger as i always use teardrops.Apart from the audio being excellent still i was still getting the delay on ssb? so after messing about and swapping rigs etc...i plugged the ranger back in and connected up to the antenna etc..and forgot i left the ranger on usb so when i keyed up all my meter needles were lifting and all the bars on the ranger meter flashing :)
Then i realised i was on usb so after double checking with a receiver on my mod is booming through and with no delay! and then went for a radio report with excellent reports?
When i had this delay problem before when i 1st posted i had the mic gain on full and then backing it off which then i only found the delay would go once the mic gain was backed off almost full? and had to put it back to full for FM?
Well now the mic gain is at quarter past and it works a treat on ssb and fm with no delay on ssb?
So i cant understand why the ssb had delay and had to have mic gain almost off?
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

Finally the problem is the Astatic D104 and Astatic teardrops were over driving the radio on ssb no matter what volume settings i tried it still had a delay or went quiet from time to time when modulating so now i have finally resoved it!!!!
I have a Yaesu YM-47 noise cancelling microphone with up+down channel change and i have wired that for the Ranger 2950DX and it works fantastic with excellent crisp audio on FM and SSB so i have now come to the conclusion that a noise cancelling mic is suitable for my Ranger and a power mic of any sort is over driving the ssb audio but fm is ok.I prefer to try and use the same mic and same settings from fm to ssb and the Yaesu YM-47 is an excellent mic and choice:)

:dance:
hotshot
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by hotshot »

had this problem also with mine problem cured by setting the ground wire with the shield on the mic socket
you will always miss the shot you don't take.
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

Hi i have now been told that the problem is i need to solder a 1k resistor to the white audio pin on the mic plug and this will stop the half a second delay due to rf feedback.
As i am a novice can you explain in more detail to me how you cured yours?

13EL121
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Ralf

Post by 13EL121 »

Hi!
Open the radio and solder a 1k resistor from the audio pin (pin1 if i remember) to ground (pin5). That must fix the problem. Be careful of middle pin6 - there is 12V! This can damage your radio. Or go to the local radio shop. Maybe they can do it for warranty if you explain the problem.

73s from germany, Ralf
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

Hi Ralf,Thanks for your reply :) Yes i have been told to solder a 1k resistor but to the white audio cable on the microhpne plug (pin-1) so i pressume this would be the same as opening the radio and soldering the resistor to the same audio pin in the radio?
Pin 5 on the ranger 2950dx is channel up?

Cheers :?
13EL121
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by 13EL121 »

Hi,
to do it in the radio is the best way. Other microphones schould not be affected with this mod. I've done this mod in some radios with no problems. I don't know at the moment which pin is ground. Better you look in the manual.
You can also test to choose a ground near the mic socket.
73s, Ralf
Classic CB
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Andy

Post by Classic CB »

Hi: Believe me Ralfs way is the better way, if you try to fit the Resistor inside the Mic plug it's too fidly & very easy to short things out. If you do the Mod inside the Radio you have more room to work & it's easier to do.
By the way this Mod does work i've had to do it on a few radio's.

Andy @ Classic CB.
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

Hi the only snag to soldering the resistor inside the radio is my radio is new and has tamper stickers on :( so the mic plug seemed the easiest way but i understand it could be fiddly.What about soldering the resistor inside the microphone as i have taken a look inside the teardrop and i can see the white audio wire on the little pcb so if i unsolder that and fit the resistor to the pcb then solder the audio cable to the other end of resistor that should work?
13EL121
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by 13EL121 »

26tangomike2010 wrote:Hi the only snag to soldering the resistor inside the radio is my radio is new and has tamper stickers on :( so the mic plug seemed the easiest way but i understand it could be fiddly.What about soldering the resistor inside the microphone as i have taken a look inside the teardrop and i can see the white audio wire on the little pcb so if i unsolder that and fit the resistor to the pcb then solder the audio cable to the other end of resistor that should work?
No, you have to solder the 1k resistor from the solder point of the white wire directly to ground of the mic pcb. That should work. You don't have to resolder the wire. Only solder the 1k resistor between this point and ground of the pcb.
@Andy: Yes, indeed it's better not open the radio. It's not worth to loose the warranty for this little mod.
Good luck! 73s, Ralf
Classic CB
Dead Key
Dead Key
First Name: Andy

Post by Classic CB »

Hi: Sorry missed the bit about it being a new radio when I first read your post, no problem with doing the job inside the Mic but make sure you don't leave the resistor legs bare to short out on anything. Slip a little sleeving over each 1 just to make sure.

Good Luck: Andy @ Classic CB.
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

RIGHT RIGHT i see Ralf so i will solder a 1k resistor from the white audio cable on the pcb in the microphone and solder the other end of the resistor to the ground.
So i am basically linking up with a 1k resistor from white audio to ground.Thats should be straight forward!
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

:cry: OK here goes!!!!!
I have soldered the 1k resistor to the white audio cable to pin 2 and tried it with the same results????
I have still got the half a second delay :banghead:
I have tried a cobra power mic and it works flawless with instant modulation on ssb so i know it has nothing to do with a power mic?
I think the astatic 565 may not be compatible with my ranger??? I must say the yaesu ym-47 mic does sound very very nice on fm,am and ssb so i will now leave this mic on the ranger and leave the teardrop for something else :?
13EL121
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by 13EL121 »

Strange thing! I think that the microphone is mismatched to your radio. I would go to the dealer with radio & mic to fix the problem.
It is definetly not normal... :shock:
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

it happens with both teardrops.But what i have noticed is if i turn the volume right down to almost off on the teardrop it sounds perfect on ssb?
So it sounds like the microphone maybe overdriving the ranger when on ssb.
I used to have my silver eagle on the superstart 3900 and if i had the mic gain turned to full on ssb i would get clipping so i left my mic gain turned back to quarter past and left it there! But on this ranger if i had to turn the mic gain back for ssb i would have it almost turned off so i have tried leaving the mic gain and just using the volume on the mic?
Anway i am not bothered about using the teardrop on this ranger i am happy with the yaesu ym-47 there nice mics! If i ever come across another ranger i will see if the same happens with my teardrops? The cobra power mic works great on the ranger so the power mic cant be over driving this ranger? were as the teardrop has a more power mic element?
26tangomike2010
Dead Key
Dead Key

:banghead: Sorry for sounding short on my previous post i have now given up trying with the teardrops :cry: I am happy using the yaesu mic on this ranger as there happily suited.I've never had a rig before that has been incompatible with a microphone so i suppose there is a 1st for everything and at least i did the 1k resistor mod :idea:

Thanks for everyones input i do appreciate!