Lankar DW-1200

For any general discussions, if your posts topic matches one of the other forums do not post it in here, use the correct forum for the topic.
316raynes
First Name: Ryan

Lankar DW-1200

Post by 316raynes »

hey all, new to this forum, i am looking for information on the lankar dw-1200 any help would be great thanks
lbcomms
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Lankar DW-1200

Post by lbcomms »

I remember these well - korean made SSB similar inside to several Hatadi units (Super cheeta 3, Super panther 3, etc).
The lankar had an "RF-G" switch that always confused the newbies :)

Only newbies bought these, many radio shops worldn't sell them, they were sold in auto accessory stores and petrol stations.

Seriously - one of the worst SSB radios ever made.
Poor quality controls, bad internal shielding (they often threw a carrier on SSB), very poor filtering - somebody transmitting 2km away would splatter these things across all 40 channels. We were inundated by faulty units back in the early 90's and in the end refused to service them.

I take it that this is NOT what you wanted to hear...

Sue
316raynes
First Name: Ryan

Post by 316raynes »

Thanks Sue, Im not overly concerned by this news, was given one to have a play around with, but cant get it to recieve, i had a feeling they were not great but could not find even so much as that on the net, I'm bidding on a pc122xl on ebay so hopefully that will yield a little more success for me, as i need to test my father in laws Super Cheetah 1, thanks again for the input
mrmodulation
First Name: Clinton

Post by mrmodulation »

PC122?
They are almost as bad as a DW-1200!

Are you using the FCC midband (26.965 - 27.405) in NZ?

Clinton TRA 087
lbcomms
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by lbcomms »

Code: Select all

They are almost as bad as a DW-1200!
The Lankar unit was a far worse "radio" - the PC122 might drift a bit, but at least they were reliable.
We had about a 2% to 3% warranty failure rate on the '122, the Lankar units were 80%+. Therefore, going by the warranty returns, the Lankars were 40 times worse!

PS: The PC122 (and similar UPD2824 chassis Uniden SSB radios) drift issue was easily fixed with a pair of PTC crystal jackets on the 10.240 and 10.695 crystals near the front of the PCB.
Total cost about $10 (late 80's / early 90s sometime)

Sue
jhonsmith
First Name: jhon

Post by jhonsmith »

Thanks Sue, Im not overly concerned by this news, was given one to have a play around with, but cant get it to recieve, i had a feeling they were not great but could not find even so much as that on the net, I'm bidding on a pc122xl on ebay so hopefully that will yield a little more success for me,,,...!!! :P :D :D :P
Try out our free Pass4sure 300-208 certification training courses to get high flying success in final ISM exams University of California, Berkeley is also very useful tool.
maria1019
First Name: MARIA

Post by maria1019 »

i had a feeling they were not great but could not find even so much as that on the net,