DX 949 clarifier shift

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

DX 949 clarifier shift

Post by beefcake747 »

is there anyway to make a galaxy dx949 shift more than 1.2 kc up and down. right now that is what i am getting(1.2 kc up/down). i would like to get 7 to 10 kc's up and down.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: DX 949 clarifier shift mod

Post by Rick »

Remove R113 and D68.
Connect a jumper wire between +8V and J9 pin F1.

You will need to do PLL alignment after this mod.

Rick.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

i have done that already but i wanting more slide. my radio already has the 12k resistor in R153 the radio only slides 1.2khz up and down, but i am wanting to know if there is anyway to get more slide like 7 to 10kc's. thanks for the reply
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Re: DX 949 clarifier shift mod

Post by Rick »

Change C130 from (20pF) to 4pF and R153 from (12K) to 10K this should do the trick, but you may find that the Fine pot is tricky to set, if so change it for a 20K pot.

Again you will need to do PLL alignment after this mod.

Let us know how you get on.

Rick.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

i changed c130 to the 4pf and R153 to a 10k resistor. i was able to get 6kc's down and 5kc's up. right know it doesnt seem to tricky to use with stock pot in the radio, but i lost modulation, would this cause the radio not to talk. it keys up and that is it, no audio. thanks for all the help you have been a great help
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Re: Re: DX 949 clarifier shift mod

Post by Rick »

No, just recheck all you have done, you can check for audio at pin 1 for IC7, you can also check the audio by trying the radio setup with ext speaker in the PA socket and switch to PA.

If you change C130 to 3pF you should go down about 1kc more and the same up, the reason you get more up than down is due to the pot your is 1K and should have 20K.

Rick.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

i dont have any audio in pa mode with a pa speaker attched to radio i checked all work that i have done and dont see any issues.
Last edited by beefcake747 on Sunday 24th Sep 2006, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

does it matter how i unlocked the clarifier instead of removing r113 and d68, i removed jp195 and jp196 and jumped from +8vdc to j9 pin f1
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Re: Re: DX 949 clarifier shift mod

Post by Rick »

Unlocking the clarifier I only do it the way I told you I do know about the jumper you talk about.

Ok it sound like you have no mic input, its not something like you have turn the mic gain down or broke a wire of some where?

Its it the same in SSB and AM?

Check the voltages at IC7 in RX and TX and post them back.

Rick.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

i checked mic gain
for broken wires
it is the same in am and ssb
ok i will try to explain this:
with the radio facing you IC7 runs parallel with the right side of the case starting with the top left pin the pin closet to the dot
RX:
radio side case side
+4.49 +8.22
+4.49 +7.58
+4.49 +3.49
0 +4.42

couldnt realy get TX they fluxuated if you need they i could probably rough them
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: 949 No Mic audio

Post by Rick »

You have a PM

Rick
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

RX:=+vdc
pin1=4.49
pin2=4.49
pin3=4.49
pin4=0
pin5=4.42
pin6=3.49
pin7=7.58
pin8=8.22
i will post tx a little later when i make it down to my work bench
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I see one of the good guys is trying to help.

Tinker
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Re: Re: Re: DX 949 clarifier shift mod

Post by Rick »

I see you did not come back with any more info, so you must of fixed the mic audio fault?

Rick.
Last edited by Rick on Thursday 28th Sep 2006, 4:13, edited 1 time in total.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

no, i have been working 7 days a week and finding time to get back to it is hard to do. i tried to take voltage in tx but readings seem to very on my volt meter is it supposed to do this. you have been great help. i may take it to a local tech that does great work, he has done some work for me in the past. i will let you know if i take it to him.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

rick: i did find a broken wire on the case side of the mic board once i fixed that i had great audio. you have been a great help on this, THANK YOU!!! oh yeah the clarifier shift works great too, but i think i will have to go to the 20k pot. once again thanks
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DX 949 clarifier shift mod

Post by Rick »

You may get a 20K pot from www.kenselectronics.com/index.html

Rick.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

rick i noticed the main board beside where the fine clarifier plugs to the main board there is place for a coarse clarifier with no plug end soldered to it, my question is when i replace the control pot for the clarifier could i hard wire a fine/coarse clarifier pot in its place i think if this could be done i would rather do it this way..thanks,and sorry for asking this question so late after i got the problem fixed it just dawned on me when i was looking at the main board schematics
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Update Coarse and Fine control

Post by Rick »

Yes you could use a Coarse and Fine control, I would need to work out the wiring and missing components for you. You would also need a duel gang pot of 1k for Fine and 20K for Coarse, you can get the pot from Ken's Electronics www.kenselectronics.com/lists/pots.htm Ken?s part number RV20303423, cost about $14 + shipping.

Rick.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

that would be great how many components do you think are missing to make it work. thanks again
WeakestStation

Post by WeakestStation »

Here is the easiest way i know how to do it,

AFTER THE CLARIFIER MODS ONLY:
1.Remove R153.
2.In its place, install a 10k potentiometer.( i will install the wires, and put the potentiometer in a convienent location so i can use it as a course clarifier)

the 10k will act as a course clarfier, while the one on the frontradio will be
the fine tune..

End results, you will be able to slide for example, 27.3150 and slide to 27.3100 using both the course and fine clarifier.

easy mod ey....

p.s. (post script) Some will say what are you talking about, just
change that resistor and it will work... Change the value if you want, and when you find out it doesn't work, do this mod that i have posted.
From Weakest-Station... a.k.a weak one
bullwinkle
Dead Key
Dead Key

I tried starting a new topic but it wouldn't post?

Post by bullwinkle »

I just unlocked my clarifier on my dx-959. I used a jumper between +8v and J9 p1 and removed r113 and d68. I re aligned L20 to 16.27
L21 to 16.27250 and L22 to 16.2675 they are all right on the money. My radio display is centered and tracks up and down. My output freq (External freq counter on output of radio) is 1-2 low on my LSB and USB. My AM Is lined up- on both tx and rx. I've checked the offset inductor and it reads in spec. I've moved the offset and watched my output freq and it still stays low? Is there a way to raise the output freq on only SSB without affecting the receive? Also like I was saying my AM is lined up. Doesn't make sense.
The other thing is on transmitt with sideband; I have to give the radio a steady tone in order to read my output freq. Is this normal? I get QSL but they always tell me I'm off frequency and they have to drop their clarifier way down to pick me up.
" Oh Rick buddy are you out there?"
ALan
(Bullwinkle)
DX-959
Base
Master Blaster antenna with 102" radials added
bullwinkle
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by bullwinkle »

Sorry the forum wouldn't let me start a new topic so; I put it here.
DX-959
Base
Master Blaster antenna with 102" radials added
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

i tried to start a new topic in the cb repair forum but it wouldnt let me. but anyways, my galaxy DX949, has no transmit and has dropped down to the mid 25 mhz, 25.415 i think. the freq. doesnt change when the channel selector is turned nor does the clarifier change it either. the radio worked fine when i turned it off a week ago and when i turned it on the other day this is what i have. does anyone have any ideas of where to start or have seen this problem before. thanks
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Stuck on 25 MHz

Post by Rick »

It sounds like you have lost the B+ check the voltage around Q61 you will probable find that the collector voltage is low or absent; it should be about 6.0 to 7.0. Hope this helps.

Rick.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

stuck on 25mhz

Post by beefcake747 »

where and what is Q61 i am looking at the schematics and and dont see it anywhere. i am going to be working on the radio today hopefully. thanx...
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

rick thanx for the help again got problem fixed radio works fine.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

Don?t keep us all in the dark, tell us all it may help some one else.

Rick.
beefcake747
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by beefcake747 »

i found some cold solder that was causing a bad connection down around L22 i cant remember exactly which resistor it was but the next time i have the radio apart i will be sure to note it and post it for you. i do know it was a factor soldered component. sorry i was in a hurry to get it working again i missed having a radio in my vehicle.
Uncle Ray
Dead Key
Dead Key

ss3900 ez360011 DRIFT

Post by Uncle Ray »

Hey Rick sorry to hassle you but where should i be looking if i have DRIFT ( freq ) on LSB with this superstar ? It will drift a bit when it warms up ? any ideas..? If I put freeze spray near L28 ( ? ) it will go back ON freq.

Really need some advice. Many thanks .Uncle Ray.

( Oh I tried to post this in a new thread but it would not let me )

PS USB and AM are ok ! :roll:
Uncle Ray
Dead Key
Dead Key

ss3900 ez360011 DRIFT

Post by Uncle Ray »

Hey Rick sorry to hassle you but where should i be looking if i have DRIFT ( freq ) on LSB with this superstar ? It will drift a bit when it warms up ? any ideas..? If I put freeze spray near L28 ( ? ) it will go back ON freq.

Uncle Ray
Dead Key
Dead Key

ss3900 ez360011 DRIFT

Post by Uncle Ray »

Uncle Ray
Dead Key
Dead Key

sorry guys didn't mean to hit the send button too many times

Post by Uncle Ray »

:oops:
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: ss3900 ez360011 DRIFT

Post by Rick »

Uncle Ray wrote:Hey Rick sorry to hassle you but where should i be looking if i have DRIFT ( freq ) on LSB with this superstar ? It will drift a bit when it warms up ? any ideas..? If I put freeze spray near L28 ( ? ) it will go back ON freq.

Try replacing C117 (56pF) this cap must be 5% or better I use 1% but this is not easy cap to find, if this does not help try swapping L28 with the L27 USB coil, I have had trouble with L29 (470uh) which cause drift after about 10 minutes. Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Rick.
Uncle Ray
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Uncle Ray »

many many thank you's Rick , I will try your advice...mate THANK YOU !!!!!! :D
Uncle Ray
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Uncle Ray »

:P

Hey Rick , just wanted to write and tell you how i got on...

First I replaced the "choke" and found that the radio was a little more stable. So I replaced the "cap" and now find the radio does NOT drift as much.
Sure theres a little drift but NOT as bad. I have opened the clarifier so as to track ( I hate sliders ).
I could get tighter tolorence with another cap so I'll try that.

Again many many thanks to you. Have a merry Xmas mate , your help was VERY MUCH appreciated.

Uncle Ray. Thank you. :D