president jackson meter

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

president jackson meter

Post by yamiraptor »

I put a new meter in a president jackson and when I turn it on and key it up the needle swings up but it bounces a couple of times before it stops. And when I unkey, it comes back down but bounces a couple of times before it stopes. It seemes to have alot of easy back and forth swing. Anyway that it can get a nice smooth back and forth swing? Any help would be great. Thanks Bill :?
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

That's more than a little weird.

There is a capacitor in the "Relative Power" circuit that feeds the meter on transmit. Well, when the "mod" button isn't pushed in, anyway. If your Jackson has PC board type number "PB-042", it's C176. My CBC International schematic doesn't show the capacitance for that part, but I'm pretty sure it's 1 uf.

Should be safe enough to put a 1 uf capacitor in parallel with the pins on the meter itself. Should calm it down some.

A larger cap might work better, like 10 uf. Not sure what value will calm it down to suit your preferences. You'll probably need to try it and see for yourself. The higher the capacitance value, the more sluggish it will make the meter's needle ballistics.

If you use a polarized-type capacitor, the negative lead will go to the negative pin on the meter. Pretty sure it has a black wire that leads to the volume control's ground wire. The positive lead of the capacitor will go to the other pin on the back of the meter.

Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: President jackson meter

Post by Rick »

If this his happening with the meter switch to S/RF change IC2 also check D4. As this is normally cause by one of the op-amp gates leaking.

Rick.
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Ok guys! Before I do anything else this is what's up! I had bought 5 meters from 2 different suppliers. All of them seem to be real easy to move the needle side to side just with it in my hand. (All of them). Now before I tried to do any of the suggestions that you had brought up, I thought just for S&G I would take out a meter from a cobra and give it a try. Well that looks to be the way it should work. It don't have all that extra movement. Looks like the new meters are real touchy. I would'nt think that you would turn those little screws on the meter, for it should be factory set. Just another thought to throw out there.

Thanks bill :?:
kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

Now you;re thinking.
Show me the Linears!
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

Simplest solution tends to be the best one. :wink:

Novo1

Post by Novo1 »

have add this trouble and it was the IC the meter was ok when the mod was switch on.

Francisco aka Novo1