PLL02A SSB low on power

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
Willo
Dead Key
Dead Key

PLL02A SSB low on power

Post by Willo »

Hello, I have an Electrophone SSB Base CB with the single board PLL02A.Board TP-S14-5.
The problem is it has low TX power output on USB and LSB.AM is fine.When I talk, my watt meter says 2-4 watts out.When I whistle I get about 8 watts out.Is this a sign of final TR on its way out? The radio was purchased of Ebay so I would say someone has had their fingers in it.
Could someone tell me how to align the TX power output on SSB please..
I only have a SWR/PWR meter, a freq counter and multimeter at hand is this enough to pull a few more watts out.

P.S Watts meter tested on another radio and works fine.

Thanx Glenn

Also I would like to put a tranmit slide it it as well.
kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

What is the model of the radio exactly. Like a tx something or other.
Show me the Linears!
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Electrophone SSB low power

Post by Rick »

Check L14 it is known to go short.

Rick.
Willo
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Willo »

Thanks Rick I will check L14......The radio is identical to the Kraco SSB Base..the woodgrain cover, two meters ect ....but it has the PLL02A cybenet single board. It is an Australian model.
Willo
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Willo »

Hey just a dumb question but how do i check L14 ...do I look for continuety or voltage :shock: .
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: PLL02A SSB low on power

Post by Rick »

If it looks burn up just replace it, also check the RF choke in the PA stage, you should find 2 with a black cover if they have burn up change them.

Rick.
Willo
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Willo »

Thanx Rick I managed to get about 8 watts out of it..I'm happy with that,she's an old rig...I need to adjust the squelch on it ,whens its cold it seems that the squelch is on..after it warms up it RX's fine.can you tell me which pot adjusts the squelch...cant seem to find out which one it is. the PCB is PTBM058COX AM/SSB cheers Glenn
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: PLL02A SSB low on power

Post by Rick »

The squelch pre-set's are RV9 for SSB and RV10 for AM.

Rick.
Willo
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Willo »

Thanx Rick.
Willo
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Willo »

Hmmm I got a bit of a problem...the radio seem to be in the squelch mode.When I turn the RF gain down to about half half way it opens the squelch and the radio works fine and when the radio warms up(left on for a while) it seems to operate fine. The radio is still TX'ing and RX'ing but the squelch seem locked on, every now and then the white noise breaks the squelch.Any ideas??
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: PTBM058COX PLL02A bad squelch.

Post by Rick »

Check Q32 the base should be about 2.0 vdc emitter 2.7 vdc and collector 0.7 vdc the emitter and collector voltages will change has you open and close the squelch, check the voltages while adjusting the rf gain and let us know the voltages it maybe a good idea to check the voltages with the radio cold and warm. I have add trouble with C148 leaking and D34 and D35. Hope this helps.

Rick.
Willo
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Willo »

Thanks Rick. I will get back to you with the voltages may be a few days though. Bit busy atm..Thanks again.