nubie help

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
dragogt

nubie help

Post by dragogt »

I have a couple of radios that I dont know if they are good, bad, or indiffrent

first is a Uniden PC66XL thats at least 6-8 years old, and the next is a Realistic Navaho base unit, that belonged to my father in law that's at least 15 years old

should I look in to rebuilding or replacing?

tks in advance dragogt
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

Hmmmm. "Navaho", eh?

Earliest radio with that name was a 23-channel AM base. A basic 3-knob mobile in a cabinet with an UNREGULATED power pack that came out in 1969 or 1970.

The "Navaho" name was subsequently put onto a string of other models, including some 40-channel SSB base radios from 1978 and 1979.

The newest one was a SSB base that was discontinued in 1985, more or less, if memory serves.

That would fit the "At Least" 15 years old description. No matter which one of those it turns out to be.

Doesn't narrow things down a whole lot for that radio, except that it's old enough to buy a drink in any state in the USA.

The model number will be on the front, with the letters "TRC" followed by two or three digits. Sure would serve to pin down which of all the Navaho radios yours turns out to be.

The Uniden radio should just be hitting its stride. That model has a first-class record for reliability, and should need nothing more than some control cleaner in the rotary controls, if any of them are noisy.

And if they are not, you don't even need to do that.

A radio is just a tool. Figure out what you want it to do for you.

What it's worth, is the cost of the cheapest alternative.

If the Navaho turns out to be really old, the cost of putting it back into working shape may be more than what your other choices would cost you. If so, you're better off to replace it unless you're just madly in love with the idea of running that radio.

True love is never cheap.

On the other hand, if you can find someone with a bad case of nostalgia for your Navaho, you could sell it for enough to buy a radio that suits your needs, whatever they may be.

dragogt

Post by dragogt »

tks for the reply

the model # is TRC-433

any tips, or tricks to pump and bump eather radio would greatly be apreaceated

also, what setup would you recamend fox max range or good overall performance?

drago