connex 3300hp tx/rx

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

connex 3300hp tx/rx

Post by yamiraptor »

I have a connex 3300hp that works just fine then out of nowhere the rx/tx goes out for about a minute, then comes back on. I've looked for cold solder joints but found none. Not to mention that it will not stay dead long enough to get any voltage checks while it's dead. Does anyone know where to check first if I can keep it dead long enough or where else to check for voltages. Also while this happens the radio stays on but no meter movement. Thanks for any kind of help
BILL :?
ramblingman
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by ramblingman »

hey there,it sure sounds like a loose connection to me.try re-soldering the two pins of your 10.240 mhz crystal.........ramblinman
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Thanks for the reply Rambling man. Resoldered the 10.240 but no change. Went back through and doubled check for cold solder and found nothing. Is it possibale that one of the transisters is getting bad? Or is it when they go they just get up and quit? Well it's back to the bench. Thanks again. BILL
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Connex 3300hp Intermittent RX / TX

Post by Rick »

Check around IC10, I have had this chip give me trouble a few times, also check to see if the lock detector when the fault occur and can do this by hook up vom to pin 8 of the PLL. Let us know what you find.

Rick.
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Thanks for your help Rick. I will take a look at what you said and see what comes up. I know it's something stupid I just have to find it. Thanks again.

BILL
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Hey there people I need some insight again.

On this connex the Ic 10 chip looks like the #is TA7318p but the 8 looks to be fadded and it might be a 0 does anybody no for sure if it is a 8 or 0?
And also the tr36 is #A1282 and tr37 # is c945 but I can't find a cross ref. for it. Anyone no where to get a replacement for these, is there a different # for them? Any help would be great.

BILL
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

The chip IC10 is a TA7310P, TR36 can be replaced with 2SB525 and TR37 should be a 2SC945, all should be available for one of the following

www.rfparts.com

www.kenselectronics.com

www.digikey.com

Rick.
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Thanks rick that's the info I needed. Now we'll see what happens. Thanks again! Have a good one. Bill
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Well replaced Ic10 and tr36,37,38 still no help. Works great on the bench, runs all week long with no problems. I put it in the truck and after about 10min. the rx/tr go out for 1 1/2 min. then comes back and works fine after that. I have bounced this thing on the bench,looked for more cold solder but found nothing. Anybody have any other ideas? Never had one act like this before. Thanks for any further help.

BILL
ramblingman
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by ramblingman »

hi,,,,i could be something as simple as the mode switch..ive had them before cut out,because of a dirty mode switch..spray with contact cleaner and flip in back and forth a few times,and that might be all it takes..
sonoma
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
First Name: Johnie

Post by sonoma »

since it only does this as mobile if it does it again loosen the mounting screws asap and see if the rx and tx comes back.could have a trace that is cracked at the mounting screws.have seen this happen in the past also.if the side screws get overtightened to the brkt it can cause a loose connection inside the radio and when it warms up will pull the trace apart.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

I still say the most common fault with intermittent RX/TX is IC10. If you have replaced it try monitoring the input and output of IC10 when the fault happens this will tell you if it is the IC or it is loosing it's supply.

Rick.
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Thanks for the reply ramblingman. I had thought the same thing too, I had already did that. In fact I got all the switches. Then I had also seen what sonoma had said about the brackets and screws. By the way thank you too sonoma for the reply. I did try that this morning with the screws but it did nothing. As for you Rick I would also like to say thank you for the reply, and I also think you were right about Ic 10 that's why I replaced it. What makes it rough is it does it while i'm driving down the road and not on the bench. It's kind of tough to check things this way. Now comes the brain storm. What i'm going to do now is take the covers off and hook it back up in the truck. Now is there a way to hook up the volt meter somewhere to monitor the voltage so when it quits I can look and see what it says? Got to try something. For some reason it only does this in the morning. Just like it's on a time clock. Thanks again guys for you input. It's realy appreciated. Have a good one BILL
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Connex 3300hp Intermittent RX/TX.

Post by Rick »

The power cable is wired direct to the battery? Or is it wired somewhere lese?
You should always run direct from the battery. If the Truck is 24 volt then you should have voltage dropper which can handle about 20 to 25 amps to be safe as your radio is HP version.

Rick.
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

No the wire is direct to the battery. I just have to keep fishing. Thanks again for the help. Have a good one. BILL
ramblingman
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by ramblingman »

hi there,,,i was checking the schematic,,and i had another thought...l22,,l22 is off trace of pin 8 of ic-10..i have had radios before,i which,the tuning cans as l22 were not completly,through the p.c.b.at factory and over time,,it loses its ground,as very little solder is holding...try heating l22,,and pushing it through the board better..and see what happens...just a thought...p.s...by just looking at it,,you will think its o.k..but its not completly though the p.c.b...i had one bought brand new,,magnum line radio...it worked good for awhile and then it would just cut-out..eventually i found bad ground connection at one of the cans....
yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Thanks ramblingman for the reply!
I think what I'm going to do is put it back on the bench and start reheating the solder joints throughout the radio and go from there. And while i'm at it i'll check L22. Thanks again for you help. Have a good one. BILL
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

Umm, you didn't hook the ground wire from the power cord to a screw in the passenger cabin, did you?

The black-coated "parkerized" screws used to hold dashboard panels in place are not suitable for a ground connection.

And if the radio's black wire is also run out to the battery, it doesn't hurt to make sure that it's secure.

If the radio only fails in the car, that means the problem is in the car, most likely.

yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Thanks for the reply nomadradio!
No sir all the wires are ran to the battery and none to the dashboard. The radio never goes out, it stays on and all. Lights work,has power just the rx/tx goes out then comes back on. I also have noticed that the rx sometimes gets quieter then normal for a few minutes then comes back to normal. I'm going through and resolder alot of the joints and see if I might get lucky. Thanks again for your help.

BILL
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

yamiraptor wrote: I'm going through and resolder alot of the joints and see if I might get lucky.
Always a safe bet with that radio. Let us know how it turns out.

yamiraptor
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by yamiraptor »

Greetings!
Just wanted to drop a line and give a speacial thanks to Ramblingman
Rick
Sonoma
and Nomadradio for your opionion and insight on this connex. I have very good news to report that after going through alot of the solder joints, there must have been one that I hit that was giving me the issues. I ended up leaving the covers off and running it that way so when it cut out I could push on the board and see if it would come back and it did. So with a eyeball about where it was touchy I took it back out and did somemore soldering. It looked to be around the ic10 and the 10.240 crystal area just like you guys had said. Put it back in and had no trouble with it for a couple of days. Button it all back up and has been working find since. The rx also no longer fades out. Thanks again for all your help. Your good people, that's all there is to it. 73 your way and have a great one.

WILD BILL :)
sonoma
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
First Name: Johnie

Post by sonoma »

glad you are up and running.
radiomanmich
First Name: paul

Re: connex 3300hp tx/rx

Post by radiomanmich »

i have the connex 3300hp my problem is i have no channel display nor tx/rx no sound at all i have tryed everything you guys was talking about got me stumped wounding if any can put some light on this out of the 10 years i have worked on radios never had this happen