Palomar 450hd

For discussions dealing with CB Radio Amplifiers.
iv1982

Palomar 450hd

Post by iv1982 »

Hi i have a palomar 450 hd and when i turn it on and talk my meter seems to swing backwards a little. Is this a tuning proplem. With it off my meter swing forward all the way when i talk!
kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

I take it you are referring to the meter on your radio.

1st, for you to ever see it swing backwards, no matter how bad the mismatch, you are keying too much. Back off the carrier if you can.

This is also a tell tale sign that the impedance of the amplifiers input is not tuned to the output impedance of the radio (Mismatch)

They quote those amps as high drive. They're not really that high of drive. 2 watts carrier and then forward power with modulation.

Again, modulation is the information you are putting not the complex wave (Radio wave) it is not the fact that the power increases while you talk. The system is operating at a lower duty cycle, until modulation (voice) is applied. That's why you see more output when you talk.
The duty cycle is increased.
iv1982

Post by iv1982 »

ok...well my radio dead keys at about 10watts, so are u saying i should turn it down to 2 watts? if so is this somthing i can do myself and if this is done will i be able to getout any better?

Thanks
kc8mob
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by kc8mob »

Yea, don't key 10 watts into your linear. If you do, you'll be romeing around the hamfest shouting

Show me the linears!

Turn down your carrier. I take it you have an export. If so adjusting the carrier will be really easy.

You have more audio if your carrier is lower. Generally.
Min
Light User
Light User

Post by Min »

iv1982, what model radio do you have and what #number is the board?
Give more info and people will try to help as much as then can.
10 watts dead key is way to much, I`d probably use about 1 1/2 watts of power and let the modulation swing. From reading on here, if you load the amp with to much radio power you can damage the amp.
hotshot
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by hotshot »

you have a bad lead from amp to radio
you will always miss the shot you don't take.