Windows woe

Forum for technicians, to bounce ideas off each other.
absorbentgnome
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Windows woe

Post by absorbentgnome »

I have finally had enough of Windows. My ebay account got hacked because I had been infected by a rootkit and keylogger, from an unknown source. I am very careful about what goes onto my computer and know how to remove nasties by hand etc. Also use Opera instead of IE and all the rest. This rootkit was deeply embedded into the system and I could not get rid of it. It wasn't even detectable using another OS to examine the infected partition.

This other partition happened to be Windows Vista. So slow. So much slower than XP. So much memory consumption too.

So, I've moved to Ubuntu Linux. Got my dual monitors set up properly, printer scanner and tv card. Wasn't all easy though getting it all working - but now thing run smoother than ever. The tv card works better than it ever did on Windows. Memory consumption is a more reasonable 350Mb on a busy desktop, not 800Mb on Windows. Swap isn't used until its necessary. etc etc etc

Good riddance Windows.

/rant over ;)
warhorse
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

woe

Post by warhorse »

unix is good rather use a mac if ever it came to it'' at least its less hacked, thats the prob with open code-anyways = http://www.rootkit.com/
absorbentgnome
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by absorbentgnome »

Never used a Mac, apart from the old 68000 ones.

I used to love computers, I had an old Acorn Archimedes with an ARM RISC processor which was awesome for programming and doing 'cool stuff'

Computers now tire me a bit, becuase of the power and resources they have and how they're wasted to give a user experience in terms of responsiveness the same as an old 486 with Windows 3.1. Obviously they look better now, but it really annoys me when My Computer takes more than a few seconds to display etc. It should be instantaneous, particulatly with god knows how many MIPS and hd bandwidth available. Its not just Windows that suffers from this problem either.