superstar 33 ...aka ranger rg-33 ..looking for info

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

superstar 33 ...aka ranger rg-33 ..looking for info

Post by johndoe »

hey everyone ..i,m new here but been around the block a few times so not new to web boards .some of you probably already know me .anyway i am looking for info on the ranger rg-33 10 meter radio.i bought 2 of these ,i already found the conversion info and converted both of them and turned them up some .the info i need now is how to enable the talkback .these radios have factory echo so there must be a way to enable talkback in these .i will include a couple pictures for you to look at and so you can see the board number .these are really nice old school looking radios that look like the black face president grant dx .if anyone has the alignment info for the metal cans to bring the power down on 11 meters i,ll be needing that too.cb tricks has nothing on this radio other than some conversion info i found there .if you can help please do ...thank you .heres the board.if anyone knows the mod limiter info i could use that as well.thanks guys.
johndoe the man you dont get to know
sonoma
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
First Name: Johnie

Post by sonoma »

lift 1 leg of d80 and see if you get talkback.I have never seen this radio before and not sure where to find any info on this one.sorry I could not help.d80 is the talkback diode on most of the radios so lift the leg and see what happens.you can always resolder it.
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

i thought about that too ,but wasnt so sure being this board is so different than the rest .i,m waiting for nomad radio to chime in .thanks though i may just give it a try.
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

heres a picture of the front so ya,ll know what we are dealing with here.
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

Sure enough, this is the thread I was remembering.

Working on it......

johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

ok thanks nomadradio .i will wait any further mods until i hear back from you .the conversion info was on cb tricks tucked away.someone directed me to it .

the conversion info was left by this man "Russell Clift AB7IF".maybe he knows more about these radios?

ranger was of no help by the way.
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

i have recieved talkback info on this board ....cut or lift one end of D36.
all i need yet is the info to bring the power down on 11 meters more .the L can info.
rweasterly

other 33 mods??

Post by rweasterly »

hey ,new here are there any other 33 mods channel expantion and my a-f selector does nothing....these questions may go hand n hand thanks
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

heres the conversion info ,very easy to do ..this will get all the bands working.link here...http://www.cbtricks.com/~ab7if/conversion.htm

copy n paste if the link didnt work.
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

now that link is only good for the superstar 33 or ganger rg 33 ..not the connex 33 .
rweasterly

thanks

Post by rweasterly »

thanks but what is the ss36 conversion thanks again
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

you originally asked for mods for a 33...the 36 conversion info is at the same link just scroll down until you see it .its the one that says remove the resistors from the board .there is a picture there just scroll down.doing that mod opens up all the channels

watch for the typo there it should read "unsolder the 4 resistors from the board"or you can just clip them off flush.
rweasterly

33 mod

Post by rweasterly »

i moved the grey wire to the number 9 pin ans the band switch works now but i dont have 11m anymore...your arrow is pointing to number 8..couls this be the problem ?? thanks
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

these are not my directions,it is info pulled from the web.if your converting a ss36 then your doing it wrong ...putting the wire to pin 9 is the conversion for the 33 not the 36.your all over the place.which actual radio are you working on?

check your radio then check the conversion.they are different for each radio.

if yours requires the wire removal/replacement ..like the 33 be sure to remove the solder bridge at that wire when you move it .my wire was bridged across 2 places and you must remove the whole thing.check on that.

cb band will be band D if all is well.you can check that too.
rweasterly

Post by rweasterly »

ok this topic is on a 33 I HAVE A 33 I DONT KNOW WHERE THE 36 CAME FROM... I NEVER SAID I HADE A 36 IM JUST TRYING TO GET SOME INFO HERE....SORRY IF YOU THINK IM ALL OVER THE PLACE....
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

heres what you asked after asking for 33 info .....

Posted: Wednesday 7th Nov 2007, 8:10 Post subject: thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks but what is the ss36 conversion thanks again

this is why i said your all over the place .didnt say it too offend you ,if i did i,m sorry.just trying to help. i hope what i posted made sense to you .
check band d that should be cb band.and make sure you removed the solder bridge.you can clearly see it in the picture.if this bridge is not removed the bands wont be right.
rweasterly

Post by rweasterly »

its ok i ask that because i didnt know what a 36 was...i actually thought that was a mod. number not another radio model...and i knew that "36" pic didnt look like mine....infact the 33 pic was very close but not exactly like mine ....but i dont think mine has that bridge like the one in the pic ...unless its hiddn on the otherside of the board under the channel selector>>>>>>>>> thanks
johndoe
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johndoe »

the bridge would be right where the wire was originally attached,when you remove the wire you remove the bridge too.then you move it to pin 9 on the band selector.pin 9 will be empty from factory.
tankermike

Ranger 33 mods

Post by tankermike »

I just bought one of these radios on ebay and took it to my cb shop to have it converted to 11 meters. They can't find any schematics on how to do it.

Does anyone have one or know of a place on the web I can get one?

As far as the talk back is concerned, I know there is a switch on the back of the stock mike that came with my radio to turn the talk back on and off. That's the first time I have seen this on a radio...
thunder69

Post by thunder69 »

There is a talkback switch on the back of the mic and it works pretty well.Have sold 4 of these in the last 3 weeks.Cut TR21 for more power (According to my distributor.) I haven't done this as adjusting the pots in the front of the board get pretty good results.The spot to re-wire for the channels is numbered and shouldn't be that hard to do.Pin 9 is were to solder.
PtownBubba

Post by PtownBubba »

I just got one these radios, the talkback switch on radio's stock 4 pin mic does not disable talkback. The tb is active all the time. Is there a simple fix to disable tb, I never liked or use tb. I would rather use an Astatic power nc mic as well, and tb always feedbacks/squeals with any power mic. On every radio I have ever had, with switchable tb turned on, they squeal with a power mic, with tb switched off, all listeners say I sound great with a power mic, so I never used any tb on any radio. I would rather sound good to listeners rather than to myself.
frogman296
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by frogman296 »

PtownBubba wrote:I just got one these radios, the talkback switch on radio's stock 4 pin mic does not disable talkback. The tb is active all the time. Is there a simple fix to disable tb, I never liked or use tb. I would rather use an Astatic power nc mic as well, and tb always feedbacks/squeals with any power mic. On every radio I have ever had, with switchable tb turned on, they squeal with a power mic, with tb switched off, all listeners say I sound great with a power mic, so I never used any tb on any radio. I would rather sound good to listeners rather than to myself.

first of all../you could add a switch in most any more if you wanted...if you case the switch may be malfunctioning...

can you try another switch, even temporarily??
PtownBubba

Post by PtownBubba »

The mic switch seems to open and close continuity according to my Fluke meter, but it has no effect on radios talkback being off or on.

With mic unplugged from radio,,, and switch "on" there is continuity from pin 1 [grd/shield] to pin 4 [rx] at mic connector.
With switch off no continuity from pin 1 to pin 4.
So the mic switch is switching,,, but the talkback is always on.

I can hear my tx audio through the radio speaker no matter if the switch is on or off.

I am not sure how with a 4 wire, 4 pin mic cord, can have an on off switch to control tb. It is the common Cobra mic wiring code, so any Cobra mic will work on the 33, but again the tb is locked on.

The RG33 mic will work on other Cobra radios, just fine,,, as long as mic switch is on,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when off,,,,, you loose the RX on radio.

It just seems like a goofy setup.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Ranger RG33 Talkback.

Post by Rick »

Can you check the voltage at pin 5 of IC7 in the TX mode, let us know what you find.
Rick.
frogman296
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by frogman296 »

i picked up one of these radios...it makes a loud tick tick tick tick noise(rx and tx)....but when i push on the transformer area of the board, it stops..

anybody have this problem....the radio is in decent shape..im thinking a cracked solder on the board