galaxy melanka-tx meter reads wrong

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
ramblingman
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

galaxy melanka-tx meter reads wrong

Post by ramblingman »

hello forum,,,,i have a galaxy melanka base,,it has the ept-3600-14b pc board...the problem with this radio is that the tx meter pegs the right corner when transmit..vr-8 does not change this...you can set key as low as 1/2 watt and it still pegs the meter...so far i have changed vr-8,,i have checked d-86 and d-87 they both check good..i have replaced c-164,,no change...i am thinking of changing vr-8 from a 100k ohm variable resistor to a 500 k....any other ideas are appreciated..thanks in advance.......
sonoma
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer
First Name: Johnie

Post by sonoma »

VR1 is am meter adjust and VR2 is ssb meter adjust.try this

I miss read your post sorry about that.this is receive.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Galaxy melanka RF meter reads wrong

Post by Rick »

At the hot end of the pre-set with 4 to 5 watt output you should have about 4.5 to 4.7 VDC and at the meter you should have about 0.18 to 0.21 VDC.

I have see the cap C161 go faulty, you can get away with using a 1pF but no higher. If you have one of the diodes leaking under load, it will act as a voltage doubler
Rick.
ramblingman
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by ramblingman »

thanks for the replys guys..ill check this and let you know,if this is trouble..