Is there a Cobra 148GTL Dual Final Mod?

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
Baileytruckr04

Is there a Cobra 148GTL Dual Final Mod?

Post by Baileytruckr04 »

Well i know i have a Galaxy DX959 and it has Dual Finals. I was wondering if anyone new if there is a Mod out there for the 148GTL? I hear people talk about triple finals, but that sounds like a lot of crazy talk, but maybe it is true idk. And also an old guy in a CB shop that i used to stop at in Illinois told me that there is a wire that you can cut in the 148s to make them a 100watt radio? Is this true or is someone just feeding me a line of crap? But if anyone know anyway that i can get more power out of this radio other than the normal just turning it up, i would be very appreciative. I have a buddy that lives in northern Illinois, and i live in Southern Indiana, and hoped that someday we would be able to talk to each other on the airwaves, but i dont know how possible that will be.......
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by 148 »

no and he is full of crap
RedEye
Light User
Light User

Post by RedEye »

I love 148 GTL radios and have messed with them alot. Tried the ekl finals, the dual 1969 mod. I have gone to just a good peak & tune after the radio is at operating temp, especially when doing an alignment. The tend to be off when cold and if you align them cold, they will drift high... Some say replacing L26/L27 will correct it, but they all seem to drift...

It is one of the most stable ssb radios out there, and am beats most radios (non DX) out there.They may be in the 12~15 watt range, but they sound a ton better than any over modulated, clipped, ekl'd 29 out there pushing 30 watts.

I dont care for the new model, (side mounted mic plug) they have terrible ssb (unstable due to the change in power distribution) and they tend to have resistor problems alot as well.

Do a good alignment, then peak and tune, don't clip the audio and you'll have a great radio! If you need to add power to reach your buddy, hook up a nice footwarmer and talk all night!
73's
speedracer6g
Light User
Light User
First Name: Michael

Post by speedracer6g »

Is it a new 148 gtl with the ranger board or an old one. This will make all the difference in what you can do with it.

MIKE
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

cobra 148

Post by WARLORD136 »

that old guy is talking to hear himself. no sutch mod for 100 watts. i think his wire is clipped. peak & tune and they do well. leave the mod choke in. buy a good amp, and you'll b talkin'.
WARLORD 136 <> some people are affraid of the dark---some are affraid to leave it<>
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

If you have a spare heat sink, you could add the second final, as long as you tie the finals to +12 volts instead of going through the regulator. I would recommend this on the older ones however, the newer ones just are not built as well.