Galaxy Saturn no Tx

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Galaxy Saturn no Tx

Post by smokinjoe »

I have a galaxy saturn main board #ept360012b that someone has done the ekl 2030 mod. and it has no tx power or modulation but the receive is fine. I have replaced tr44,tr56,tr43,tr45,tr50,tr51 and rechecked all the changes for this conversion and i still have no tx power or modulation. When i key the mic the tx light comes on as it should. I also checked volts at ic8 and all are good here are some of the other voltages that i have checked gate volts on tr44,tr56,tr43 are3.42 volts in tx mode. The voltage on the drain in rx mode for tr44,tr56,tr43 is3.8volts on all three and in tx mode the drain volts are7.64 volts on all three. I also checked volts on tr 45 b 1.13,c 8.5,e .45 in tx mode tr50 b 13.0,c 7.6,e 13.0 in tx mode. tr 51 b 13.0,c 7.6, e 13.0 in tx mode. i have also checked all connections going to the antenna jack and all connections are good. Anyone have any idea on what could be wrong with this radio.Thanks for any information and help on this.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Galaxy Saturn no Tx

Post by Rick »

Is it possible to set the Bias?
Rick.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick thanks for helping me when they done the erf-2030 mod. it looks like the bias controls were taken out of circuit like on the galaxy 99v mod. they installed the ekl companion parts on tr 44 is en-369dr and tr 43 is en-369fn. I can send you a copy of the mod. sheet they went by if you need it. Thanks
Last edited by smokinjoe on Thursday 6th Mar 2008, 6:37, edited 1 time in total.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick i forgot to mention that i did the pa test and pa is loud and clear. Thanks
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Galaxy Saturn no TX.

Post by Rick »

I am a bit confused. As in your message you say b, c, e and not g, s, d if MOSFET.
Are you using 2030 Mosfets for driver and final?
If yes then what is the Gate voltage of the driver? and the finals?
What is the voltage on the Collector of TR51? on AM key-up and can you adjust the voltage with VR13?
Rick.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick sorry about the confusion. Yes the radio has three 2030 mosfets installed. The collector voltage on TR51 is 7.6 volts keyed and 3.6 volts unkeyed and i can adjust it up or down with vr13. The gate volts on all three 2030 mosfets is 3.42 volts with radio keyed and 0 volts unkeyed. The drain volts on all three 2030 mosfets are 7.64 volts with radio keyed and 3.8 volts unkeyed. Thanks.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

I think I ask you once before if you had a scope or an RF probe.

I maybe an idea to temporally put the driver back to 2SC2166 as this should aid you in finding the fault.

You could send to a copy of the mod sheet to my email address, as I may find some think you have over look.
Rick.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick thanks again for your help i don't have the original finals but i may have a new set of 1969 finals and a 2166 driver. Let me get back to you over the weekend i may try and put the radio back to stock and see if the problem is still ocurring. I guess this is the best way to see if someone has done something wrong. Also i will look into building a rf probe. Thanks
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick thought i would let you know that i returned radio back to stock and i still have the same results with no rf power out put i should have rf probe ready in next couple of days. Thanks
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick i have a rf probe now and i have checked the finals the driver and the predriver and there is no rf on any of them were is the best place to start in the rf section and follow signal that goes to predriver? I checked rf probe on good radio and it is working properly. Thanks for your help.
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

All test to be carried out with the RF Probe.
Check the inputs to the TX mixer IC9 with the radio set to AM and in TX mode.
Check R231 this is the 15 to 17 MHz input to the TX mixer.
Check R232 this is the 10.695 MHz input to the TX mixer.
If both signals are presented check, the output of the TX mixer IC at pins 2 and 3 if all signals is presented check the Base of TR46.
Let us know how you get on.
Rick.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick i am not sure what the input pins on ic9 are but the two pins closest to L44 show .01 on volt meter in tx with rf probe connected. R231 shows .60 in rx and tx and R232 is 0 in tx with probe connected. Forgot to mention that i have already replaced ic9. Thanks
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

The inputs to the TX mixer are the 2 resistors number I gave you in my last message.

From what you have told, me the 10.695 MHz Oscillator is not working.
Check for cold solder joint around X4 and TR30.

With the radio in AM TX mode connect RF probe go to the Emitter of TR30 to see what signal you have?
If you have no signal, try-replacing crystal X4, which is 10.6975 MHz or it, could be the transistor TR30 also make sure the Collector has volts in TX or the Oscillator will not work.
Rick.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick i have checked for cold solder joints around x4 and tr30 on the emitter of tr30 i have .31 with probe connected. The collector has 7.25 volts in tx. Also x4 shows .29 on both sides with probe connected. Thanks
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

Check the the copper track from the emitter of TR30 to R232. It looks like it is O/S
Rick.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

I have checked for broken traces on the board and have not seen any the only connections on the emitter of tr30 is some caps and a resistor.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick I forgot to mention that there are 2 places on this board that are marked TR30. I have been checking the one next to X4. The other is towards the rear of the radio, I guess i have been checking the right one?Thanks.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

Rick i would like to thank you for your help on this radio because it has a few things wrong with it and i was trying to take care of one problem at a time . I now have rf power radio keys 2 watts and swings to 30 with modulation now i need to find out why i have a high carrier on usb and lsb anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this? Thanks for your help.
smokinjoe
Light User
Light User

Post by smokinjoe »

There is one other thing i noticed on this radio that i forgot to mention is the driver and final bias will not adjust. Thanks in advance for any information.
Chevin
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Chevin »

Sorry error.
Chevin