UNIDEN GRANT

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

UNIDEN GRANT

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Radio Make.Uniden
Radio Model.Grant
PCB number.PC-409AC
PLL number. MB8719

Hi :D I have just acquired a Uniden Grant (basically a president Grant) Like brand new, with pc board number PC-409AC, But it has a problem i do not have any audio rx or tx on usb, yet am & lsb work 100% perfect.I can hear a bit of a hiss on rx usb with volume full up,but not registering any signal level on the s meter & totally nothing on t.x!, :? Any idea's folkz??? as i really want to have it working 100% as even though its just 40 channels on midband i want to band it up,Thanks beforehand,Shaun
:D
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

There can't be that much wrong with it if it's only USB that's not working, should be easy enough to find the fault with the circuit diagram (see link below):

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/uniden/grant/index.htm

Maybe start at the mode switch and, and then follow the diagram from there.

Regards,

Brian.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Hi Brian :) , i already tried the mode switch & that seems fine as i swapped the lsb & usb wires around & it still did'nt work on usb.I already have the circuit diagram & block diagram, but i am not that well electonically minded in knowing how to read or understand the different componants/stages etc,hence why im here to ask,cheers,Shaun :)
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

Hi Shaun,

All understood. If I get time, I'll have a look over the diagram myself and see if I can come up with any ideas.

Regards,

Brian.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Cheers Brian, any help is very much appreciated :D
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

It sounds like there is a problem with either the Balanced modulator, or the actual USB offsets (the L.O. or I.F.).

I would suggest that you check for any bad solder joints around the adjustments of the oscillators, specifically at:

Loop Oscillator:
L22,L23, CT1 and D33 (USB)

I.F. Oscillator:
L30, L31, CT2 and D39 (USB)
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

D33 definitely worth checking, also D37.

Regards,

Brian.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Hi Scott :) would the Balanced modulator be IC3 which is a AN612 ?
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

DIRTY HARRY wrote:Hi Scott :) would the Balanced modulator be IC3 which is a AN612 ?
Apologies to Scott for jumping in and answering, but yes that's correct IC3, the AN612 is the BM. I doubt very much that this is the problem, otherwise it wouldn't be working on LSB.

Regards,

Brian.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Hi guys, i have just desoldered & resoldered..

Loop Oscillator:
L22,L23, CT1 and D33 (USB)

I.F. Oscillator:
L30, L31, CT2 and D39 (USB)

& D37, Yet still no joy!

:twisted: :D
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

Did you test the diodes when you removed them, or replace them with new diodes?

Brian.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Brian Morris wrote:Did you test the diodes when you removed them, or replace them with new diodes?

Brian.
nope not yet Brian, i hav'nt looked at their values yet on the schematic & i have only just started looking at this rig ,so i have no replacements just yet.
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

They are probably just standard silicon diodes, in which case a 1n4148 will be fine as a replacement. Definitely worth cheching that L25 isn't open circuit as well.

Brian.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Brian Morris wrote:They are probably just standard silicon diodes, in which case a 1n4148 will be fine as a replacement. Definitely worth cheching that L25 isn't open circuit as well.

Brian.
Hi again Brian :D mmm i see maplin actually do stock something that i may need for once, as they actually stock 1n4148's.
Is there a way i can test the d33 d37 & d39 diodes & how do i do this,
i would like to test them rather than a wasted journey to craplins.
I have also tried swapping L25 with L26 & it maade no difference,
Cheers, Shaun :D
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

Check L28 and D38 too.

If you have a continuity tester, put both probes accross the diode, then swap them round, it should conduct one way but not the other way.

These days most multimeters have a diode test setting on them, in which case the meter should show 0.6 to 0.7 volts one way round, and nothing the other way round on a good diode.

If you're going to be fixing rigs on a regular basis, a multimeter is a must. They're cheap as chips these days.

Brian.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Brian Morris wrote:Check L28 and D38 too.

If you have a continuity tester, put both probes accross the diode, then swap them round, it should conduct one way but not the other way.

Brian.
Right Brian, i have tested D33,D37,D38 & D39 All only conduct one-way like you said at 0.6 volts or just above, so thats one we can cross off the list.As for can L28 I had already resoldered that.
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

Ok Shaun, rather than guesssing, I think we'll have to start fault finding and do some voltage measurements; let's start with the mode switch, what voltage do you get on the USB tag when in USB mode, and what voltage do you get on the LSB tag when in LSB mode?

Brian
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Gooday Brian :D ,below are the measurements i am gettin on my multimeter
with the switch in the corresponding mode while testing on each tag.

Blue wire/L24/LSB/ 8.10 Vdc

Green wire/L25/AM/ 0.01 Vdc

Yellow wire/L26/USB/ 0.01 Vdc
Brian Morris
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by Brian Morris »

Hmm, seems a bit strange that, if anything I would have expected to see 8 Volts on AM and LSB since you say that AM and LSB are working properly.

You should see 8 Volts on the appropriate tag for the selected mode, if you don't then either the switch is knackered, or something has gone short circuit and is dragging down the voltage for that mode. Anyway, you've said that you already tested the switch by swapping the wires around.

By the way I think L25 is the USB choke and L26 is the AM choke.

I am running out of ideas Shaun, the last thing I can suggest is that maybe one of C125, C126, or more likely CT2 have gone short circuit and this is dragging down the 8 Volts for USB mode. If any of the caps show continuity on your meter then they're buggered.

Good luck,

Brian.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Hi Brian :D , yep im also getting confused, especially with those voltage readings off the pins, i just tested C125 & C126 & they are alright to, im thinking of letting a decent tech to look at it as its doin my head in mate :? Shaun.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

I have just replaced balanced modulator AN612 & still no success, Dam! wish i could get this old bird to work on USB :banghead: as its in exceptionally good physical condition :?
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

If you have a frequency counter with a input for a probe you could check the frequencies to see if the loop and I.F. are working, if they are that would rule out a LOT of things.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Hi Scott :D ,, i do have a thurlby thandar lab counter with a probe leads, i know its not 100 % accurate but works , So i could test the i,f & loop frequencys if you could please tell me the test points & procedure to carry this out,thanks beforehand,Shaun :D
The Defpom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Defpom »

The alignment procedure and info is on the main site in the alignments section, I suggest that you look it up and try to go through it, and let us know if anything does not appear to be correct with your radio.

The alignment info is here:
http://www.radiomods.co.nz/grantalignment.html
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Grant PC409 no LSB.

Post by Rick »

Check at R150 for 7.800 Mhz in AM, 7.985 MHz in LSB and 7.8015 MHz in USB.

Check at TP21 or the Emitter of TR20 for 33.975 MHz in AM, 33.9765 MHz in LSB and 33.9735 MHz.

If the 33.9765 and the 7.985 are missing then you will probably find that the mode switch or wiring is the fault.

My diagram for the Cobra 148GTL classic may help as it has the same Osc's
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/14 ... redraw.pdf
Rick.
DIRTY HARRY
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by DIRTY HARRY »

Cheers for Explaining Rick, i will have a look at it & let you know the outcome,regards,Shaun :)