AVOID CLAYS RADIO!

For any general discussions, if your posts topic matches one of the other forums do not post it in here, use the correct forum for the topic.
kombat03

AVOID CLAYS RADIO!

Post by kombat03 »

I bought a cobra 200 GTL from this company. Upon getting the radio, the upper power didn't modulate right, the usb and lsb modes only worked on high while fm only worked on low. Also, they added in a talkback switch which was supposed to shut off talkback when it only quieted it. After trying to contact this company for two weeks on these problems, they finally gave me a return authorization number when the transmit quit working. They call me saying ?Someone has worked on this, we can not fix it.? No one will touch this radio within a ten foot pole because a) it is a 10 meter radio and b) the radio is too hard to work on. What do I get for all this work, I get stuck with a $319.33 bill and a broken radio which they sold me. Don?t let this company rip you off too!
frogman296
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by frogman296 »

not the first time i have heard this
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by 148 »

call cobra they replaced mine for free
frogman296
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by frogman296 »

148 wrote:call cobra they replaced mine for free
it really was a shame..these radios were fine looking, with lots of features...but, they were lemons for the most part
johhn
Dead Key
Dead Key

re;cobra

Post by johhn »

I got a R.c.i.2950 dx from Copper ,It also came with the C.B.
channel chip not installed .Just like I ordered ,
I figered I had too set the power while I was doing the Claifier mod
(unlock) at the same time.. Man it still works great for $262.00
With shipping :D
frogman296
Heavy User
Heavy User

Re: re;cobra

Post by frogman296 »

johhn wrote:I got a R.c.i.2950 dx from Copper ,It also came with the C.B.
channel chip not installed .Just like I ordered ,
I figered I had too set the power while I was doing the Claifier mod
(unlock) at the same time.. Man it still works great for $262.00
With shipping :D
thats a bummer as well

i take it you got it converted no problem??
johhn
Dead Key
Dead Key

radio

Post by johhn »

Yes I did in fact , Thats why I bought a R.C.I.,,
You can find everything from adjustments to channel convert. on
the web, even the clarifier un-lock. :P
Mack43

Post by Mack43 »

I buy from clays all the time and have never had an issue with anything.
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

Cobra is very good at warranty repairs, Call ahead to get RMA and all you will be out is shipping. They don't care if radio is converted or not, they will still honor warranty.
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

clays radio shop

Post by WARLORD136 »

i have stopped at clays several times when i was trucking. it is a neat, clean, shop with a large parking lot. off exit 370 of i-20 if i remember right. the salesmen and the techs were always courtious, helpful, and most importantly---available. no matter how busy they were, they would always answer questions. as for their work, i took a friends radio there, they fixed it right away, it was reasonably priced, and my friend said it never worked better. just a report from the positive side.
WARLORD 136 <> some people are affraid of the dark---some are affraid to leave it<>
hamguy2
Light User
Light User

Post by hamguy2 »

rangers lose there channel rejection etc aftrer there modded for 11 metres, :( i had to get a notch filter and a channelguard filter in mine ,rthx dave
hamguy2
Light User
Light User

cobras are tops

Post by hamguy2 »

cobra 200gtl is way better than a 2950 atleast they have top filtering, thx david
RedEye
Light User
Light User

AVOID CLAYS RADIO!

Post by RedEye »

Early model 200's had some issues I've heard, but mine was the last board number made, bought it off the shelf (229.00 on sale)and sent it to cobra for the free tech updates. (No Cost but shipping)
I was unfamiliar with the design so when I got it back, (I used it with good reports for about 6 months), then had the 2SC2879 mod done to it, Replace power cables, and a mod to the power circuit to the 2879s and a cooling fan installed.
Stock it would do about 80 watts in reality... now I get a VERY clean, not overdriven 170 watts with great audio.

I think most of the problems people had with these radios was from turning up the power without beefing up the cooling for the finals. Zero airflow and the factory heatsink that is thick enough but it has NO air surface to speak of... so the heat just stays there.

These are great radios if a tech that knows and understands them works on them....
Redeye - Clermont Florida
Cobra 142 GTL, D104 Eagle,
Gonset GSB 201 MkIII
27.385 LSB
Cobra 200 modded w/2SC2879 Finals
Astatic D104 Hand mic

First Name: rb

Re: AVOID CLAYS RADIO!

Post by snabinscatchet »

This is my first post and I dont want to step on toes BUT---- 35 years ago I could hardley spell C.B.. I had almost lost my legs. My mind told them what to do and they refused to listen. I had to make a living for my family of 8 so I did the only thing I new, run my head off on the radio and sell radios that I had bought in flea marklets and garage sales. I went from just cleaning them up to tuning them with a book that I bought some place. I decided I could make a meger living doing what I was doing, so I got a CB shop and went in head first. I found out that I was 1/2 way between Clay on one end and Professer on the other. I saw some professional radios come from Professer, and some just as professional but way out there radios come from Clay. I learned uppers and lowers from Clay. Modulation mods, and toys came along later. I learned to dot every "I", and cross every "T" from Clay also. Clay tought me almost everything I know now---Wheather he knows it or not. He made me a professional, and he alone made it possible to support my family. Professer and a man from Greenville Texas called Jack also did there part. My friends that has been 35 years ago, and my family is all gone now, just me and the wifie. She can tell you that she never missed a meal. Sometimes it was slim, but we ate--had a car--house--and everything it took to be a family. I'm almost 70 now and I just wish I could have someone to hand off what I have learned from Clay and the Professer. When someone uses Clays name in vane--it bothers me. Not that anyone cares, but I know what Clay is and what Clay really stands for.
"R.B." from the 63 Mile marker in Arkansas
hotshot
Dead Key
Dead Key

Re: AVOID CLAYS RADIO!

Post by hotshot »

in all fairness radios do not like to be modded in the first place.
As for clays radios everybody gets a bums deal all the time from all kids of shops.
Best thing to do sort it out yourself and dont post here and cry about it be a man
my oh my
you will always miss the shot you don't take.