Cobra 29 should I jump D8 ?

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
StrightClaw
Light User
Light User

Cobra 29 should I jump D8 ?

Post by StrightClaw »

i ran across a mod that says to jump D8 what does this do to the radio ? also i have seen schematics which have the number of D8 penciled in as 1N4003 does changing it from 1n4004 to 1n4003 do something ?
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

Judging by a schematic, it appears that diode is in between the RF output section and the audio transformer, so I'm guessing it may increase your RF output in some way. I've never experimented with this mod before, and my Cobra 29's have always talked well without this mod, so unless you have a spare 29 that's beat up or something that you can try this mod on, I don't think I'd try it. Cheers!

-Rick (Triple 7)
"You need to adjust that sideband. You're sounding a little daffy." -John "the 395" (Cobra Kid)
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Re: Cobra 29 Spike diode, should I jump D8.

Post by Rick »

D8 is RF spike diode and should be left well alone. By jumping across the diode, you would gain about 0.7 of volt.

I know some site tell you remove it but the person who wrote such an article had very little knowledge and it is best to stay away from such sites.
Rick.
marveylus22
Light User
Light User

Re: Cobra 29 Spike diode, should I jump D8.

Post by marveylus22 »

Rick wrote:D8 is RF spike diode and should be left well alone. By jumping across the diode, you would gain about 0.7 of volt.

I know some site tell you remove it but the person who wrote such an article had very little knowledge and it is best to stay away from such sites.
Here here!!
When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
frogman296
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by frogman296 »

i totally agree with rick...i would leave it alone, not worth it