Galaxy 949 Peak

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
truckinkw

Galaxy 949 Peak

Post by truckinkw »

Can anyone tell me what piece to remove, which VR's to turn up and which coils to spread to turn up my radio. I had it done before on another Galaxy 949 I had and the radio pushed close to 30 watts.
Hammer Down
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

Depending on how much SSB you run, you "can" remove Q39, which is the modulation limiter, but it tends to distort the SSB pretty bad. I recommend you do NOT remove Q39, but simply solder in a 1k ohm 1/4 or 1/8 watt resistor inline with the emitter leg of Q39, and reinstall in the board. This will allow more modulation, without the distortion on SSB.

Now for the VR's you need to adjust...
VR 16 = AM mod (AMC)
VR 17 = SSB power (ALC)
VR 14 = AM low power (deadkey)
VR 18 = AM high power (deadkey)

You can play around with L28, L29, L30, L31, and L35 for maximum.

Hope this helps you out. Cheers!

-Rick (Triple 7)
"You need to adjust that sideband. You're sounding a little daffy." -John "the 395" (Cobra Kid)
GRTS
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by GRTS »

Exit_Thirteen wrote:Depending on how much SSB you run, you "can" remove Q39, which is the modulation limiter, but it tends to distort the SSB pretty bad. I recommend you do NOT remove Q39, but simply solder in a 1k ohm 1/4 or 1/8 watt resistor inline with the emitter leg of Q39, and reinstall in the board. This will allow more modulation, without the distortion on SSB.

Now for the VR's you need to adjust...
VR 16 = AM mod (AMC)
VR 17 = SSB power (ALC)
VR 14 = AM low power (deadkey)
VR 18 = AM high power (deadkey)

You can play around with L28, L29, L30, L31, and L35 for maximum.

Hope this helps you out. Cheers!

-Rick (Triple 7)
I disagree with the 1K ohm resistor mod mentioned above.
VR16 will provide more than enough modulation range.
VR17 is APC and not ALC
VR13 is ALC

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/d ... 49_adj.htm
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

Heaven forbid then if I mention the "swinger" mod for more AM modulation.

The 1k resistor inline with the emitter leg on Q39 works excellent for both AM and SSB modes, without distortion. I used this on my Texas Ranger TR-696FD1, as adjusting the AMC wouldn't get over 95% modulation on AM. I've never had bad reports, nor have I ever had a single radio get damaged from this mod. Cheers!

As far as VR17 being APC, I stand corrected there, the site I copied from was wrong, the CB Tricks site is correct.

-Rick (Triple 7)
"You need to adjust that sideband. You're sounding a little daffy." -John "the 395" (Cobra Kid)
truckinkw

Post by truckinkw »

Thank you for the VR adjustments. The link to CBTricks is much appreciated aswell. What about the coils to spread. Do I open all of them or just the main one?
Hammer Down
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, all of the above coils have an effect on Tx power, the main ones are L29, L30, and L31, I believe. Try those three first, with a watt meter set on the 10 watt scale, in AM mode. It takes a little bit of trial and error to find out which one(s) you have to spread that will bring up the power, so you have to experiment. Cheers!

-Rick
(Triple 7)
GRTS
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by GRTS »

Spreading air wound coils on the output of the transmitter will appear to increase power but you're doing more harm than good.

L28, L29 and L30 form a 54mhz series tuned trap to reduce harmonics.

Stretching or reshaping these coils increases harmonic power giving you a false sense of increased power on the wattmeter.

L31 doubles as an RF choke for Q47 and also as part of the matching network for the 54mhz trap.

-Ray
8)
Rick
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by Rick »

Exit_Thirteen

As for spreading coils and playing around AMC shunts and other bad practises, they are best left in the trash can, where they belong.
Do not be concerned about the poor person who cannot watch is TV any more.
This sort of practice gives techs a bad name.

IMO until you know what you are, talking about it is best to stay stume.
Like many forums this one gets it’s bar room techs, they just make me lol.
Rick.
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

If I'm that awful about mods and "giving legit techs a bad rep", that is certainly your opinion. I can handle the criticism. And I'll learn from it. Maybe someday you'll show me a thing or two about these things.

However, littering other people's legitimate threads (who are seeking mods) with silly trash and bash posts is uncalled for. Tell the author to not follow my mods, that simple.

GRTS had 2 excellent posts here, both informative, no bashing, and were things that I learned from (and perhaps the author did as well).

In your case, Rick, from your post, I learned nothing. zilch.

If you don't like what I say, send me a PM. Keep it out of the legit threads. I'm sure the author of the thread will appreciate it.

Regards,
Rick (Triple 7)
Chevin
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Chevin »

I have always had very good help from Rick and he has sort out more radios of me and my mates over the years and I have never need to take a job back.
One good example is an cobra 148gtl-dx which had been to 6 so called radio repairs and each one told me it had to many faults. Well I give to Rick and 2 hours later he phone me to tell me it was ready.
In your case, Rick, from your post, I learned nothing. zilch.
You may know what you are doing. I which case why do you need to read Ricks posts????
Read the comments from the guys which Rick has help out.
Chevin
RedEye
Light User
Light User

Post by RedEye »

"In your case, Rick, from your post, I learned nothing. zilch.

Regards,
Rick (Triple 7)"

I will take the advice of a WORLD CLASS and TOP TECH any day over anyone who repeats cheap internet mods to someone who is trying to find legit ways to create real RF power gains.

For you to put down a TECH that literally travels the world by request for his expertise, that shows your inteligence, triple 7...

As for going off the subject, I'm sorry, but it peeves me when someone opens their piehole and spits out crumbs....

As for the 949, Replace Q54 with a 2SB817 100watt regulator to help the radio overall in general. Gotta get the power to the finals before any mods will make a big improvement.
Replace Q55 with a 2SA1012 will improve the clarity and volume of the modulation. It will also run much cooler which provides stability for the device. If you plan to use a stock microphone, will really help for maximum AM modulation.

If your 959 is an older model with a 1969 final then:
The first thing you need to do is turn up VR14 which is the AM high power variable.

Remove C218 (3pf) and discard.
Change C216 (470pf) to a 1000pf (100V mylar-type)
Remove C210 (470pf) and discard.
Remove C199 (560pf) and reinstall it in the C210 spot.
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

Redeye,

Perhaps you need to re-read my post. I never said I never learned anything from Rick's posts as far as technical advice is concerned. I said I didn't learn anything from his bash post, and I made that very clear in my post.

Rick sent me a PM explaining things, and you want to know something? I commend Rick for doing that. He's a no-BS kind of guy. And I appreciate the fact that he sent me a PM.

Rick has profund knowledge, and I have learned a lot from him. I have nothing against him, hopefully he'll feel the same way about me, since we did get off on the wrong foot. I never put him down as a tech in my post. If you can tell me where I specifically bashed Rick AS A TECH in my post, I'd like to see it.

As far as you're concerned, the whole line of "it peeves me when someone opens their piehole and spits out crumbs" is childish at best.

And the only reason I'm posting this is because I could not send you a PM (or Rick for that matter), as I get a syntax error when I attempt to send a PM. You want to bash me? Fine. I can take the heat. Send it in a PM. Rick sent a PM, and it wasn't even a bash. Kudos to Rick for handling this properly. He earned my respect as a person and as a tech.

Regards,
Rick (Triple 7)
RedEye
Light User
Light User

Post by RedEye »

X-13,

You may be right, I may have jumped a little hard.... I apologise.

Rick has been a very helpful tech here and I see his frustration in many of his posts when people don't take the time to say thanks. Comments like yours, even if it was meant to be non bashing, I worry, will run off many techs who tire of helping people almost every night, and get no thanks....

I hope I can help you in the future and I'm sure you have a mod or two I don't know about that will help me.

Cheers,
REDEYE
speedracer6g
Light User
Light User
First Name: Michael

Post by speedracer6g »

Not bashing anyone but i agree with the fact that cutting limiters is bad there is usually more than enough ajustment for more modulation especially on this radio. Cutting limiters will only show you false power readings and distort the radio grab a scope and look at it. I know that it looks like your geting more avg. power but that is because it will start to square the waveform. I only post to inform and help us educate ourselfs not to piss everyone off. So have a good day and hope this helps.

Mike