What is a good 11meter cb radio to mod

Discussions on CB Radio Modifications
MichaelT0101

What is a good 11meter cb radio to mod

Post by MichaelT0101 »

I have a galaxy dx 959 worked great nicely moded till i went overboard and did the dual final now it sucks. I was looking to get another 959 but figured I would see If there is something that might be easier or better most of all get the biggest bang out of the mod. Any thought would be great. Thanks
King Mudduck
Dead Key
Dead Key
Location: Taylorsville NC. http://kcscbradiowebsite.tripod.com/

Post by King Mudduck »

Just take the duel final modification out and and put it back ( Single final ) to stock. If you have already spent all the cash in that one then why start over. On the other hand i have aways like the 29's myself. You can do just about anything to one!
Check out my sie, lots of great info for ham and CB! http://kcscbradiowebsite.tripod.com/
MichaelT0101

dont remember

Post by MichaelT0101 »

I did this About a year ago I've lost the directions and my old parts So i dont remember what all I changed.
Min
Light User
Light User

Post by Min »

Uniden Washington Basestation, President P400. (this is my preference).
As there is a good expansion board for them plus plenty of room on the inside to put extra goodies.

Thats my preference for radios to play with anyway.
hackindave
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by hackindave »

Close to what Min said, I have a Uniden Madison (8719) that is pretty heavy with the mods.

50 watt kicker
blue lights
blue display
26.435 - 28.305

And still plenty of room inside to add more goodies. Make sure you have space before you try craming stuff inside
Min
Light User
Light User

Post by Min »

hackindave, how did you manage to get such frequency range from the Madison? Is it all done by switches or the channel selector?
I have a President P400 & Uniden Grant. Both have the MB8719pll.
Do you still have the 11.1125MHz crystal installed or did you change it to the 11.325MHz?

Cheers
hackindave
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by hackindave »

It has the pll modded and also the 11.325 xtal.. Sorry for delay (looonnngg) in responding
hotrod
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by hotrod »

i like the old uniden grants philly made
also like the uniden68 for just an am only rig :D
Exit_Thirteen
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

Post by Exit_Thirteen »

If single final radio is more to your liking, you just can't beat a Philippino Cobra 148GTL.

I currently have a Texas Ranger TR-696FD1 (6 digit freq. counter), and it's heavily modded, I really like that radio for a single final. I did the IRF520 dual final mod on it, didn't work worth squat, so I converted it back to single final.

The TR-696FD1 is pretty much the exact same board as the Galaxy 949/959 board minus a few goodies like the talkback/dimmer/roger beep.

If you want to get rid of your 959, let me know. Cheers!

-Rick (Triple 7)

(edit) Forgot the SS-158EDX is a 10 meter radio. Whoops. :P
"You need to adjust that sideband. You're sounding a little daffy." -John "the 395" (Cobra Kid)
RedEye
Light User
Light User

Post by RedEye »

I may have all of the stock parts if you need them to convert back, I do the dual mod (IRF520's) and have had good results. PM your address and I'll gather the parts up and mail to you.....With a copy of the erf-2030 mod reversal and IRF520 reversal too
73's

949/959 are great radios! The really good part is they are sold as an 11 meter CB radio so you can have them in restricted use company trucks that don't allow converted 10 meter radios. They can easily be worked over to have the same power as their 10 meter counterparts!
frogman296
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by frogman296 »

older radios....phillie cobra 29 or uniden pc 76xl

newer..uniden 68/78
Hawkeye138

Post by Hawkeye138 »

im not a tech myself but ive done many mods to cobra 29ltd classic easy to work on alot you can do to them i just started working on 29 xlr fairly easy channel mod, dont know about power or recieve mods im still looking but cobra 29 is great radio to work on if you get mods from right person theres alot of mods that will work but make radio sound like crap.
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

For modding, nothing beats the older 02A Boards and the D858 Boards, these can be found at garage sales for next to nothing.
johhn
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by johhn »

Clip the modulator in your 29 ,add channels, Then unlock the,
Clarifier,on a s.s.b..this works.