blown polarity diodes

For discussions on CB Radio Repair and Troubleshooting, do not post modification requests here, use the Modifications forum !
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

blown polarity diodes

Post by WARLORD136 »

i have gotten 4 radios with blown pol. diodes. of course when asked,"i didn't hook it up backwards,man, i aint that stupid", is the reply i get. these people gave me the radios for parts because they didn't want to fool with them. the radios are, 2 cobra 29's, a uniden 78, and a uniden66. i replaced the diodes,and and the radios would not receive signal. however, if i made a "talk back" with a resister, you know what i mean, the resister ohmage made a difference on the amt. of receive. what am i overlooking? thanx for any help.
WARLORD 136 <> some people are affraid of the dark---some are affraid to leave it<>
timrim
Heavy User
Heavy User

Post by timrim »

If you can only hear with a talkback resistor installed, then the receive wire in your microphone is broke.
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

blown polarity diodes

Post by WARLORD136 »

thats not the problem. i have tried several mics, including a jdc201m, a super side kick, an ec2018 xtreme, and my beloved d-104, to no avail. these mics work on my other radios and check out on my mic tester, so the problem lies elsewhere. thank you muchly for your answer, and have a great day. p.s. "muchly" is a cool word, no?
WARLORD 136 <> some people are affraid of the dark---some are affraid to leave it<>
woody
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by woody »

does the needle move like it is receiving?
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

blown pol diode

Post by WARLORD136 »

no, no movement on the meter. like i said, no receive at all unless the board is shorted to the frame. i can't find out what is causing this annoying problem. probably something simple. thanx for your reply.
woody
Dead Key
Dead Key

Post by woody »

check all the screws that mount the board to the chassi.I want to say there might be a solder tab that is connected to the chassi,check to see if that might have a cold solder joint. hope this might give you some help.
WARLORD136
Frequent Keyer
Frequent Keyer

blown polarity diode

Post by WARLORD136 »

hey woody, good suggestion, but i did that first thing. for a while i was tearing my hair out. i have stopped now. i'm out of hair. being bald ain't so bad. i hope it grows back. thanks,woody for your help. see ya'h.