I need a 40ch block for my ferris ssb,can you help.

This is an area for you to post requests for any radio parts, equipment or test gear that you are looking for.
uncle

I need a 40ch block for my ferris ssb,can you help.

Post by uncle »

hi ,
I have a old ferris 5500 ssb home bace .
it's in very good condition and I'm looking for a 40ch block for it.
at the monment it only has a 18ch block in the radio.
I don't realy want to cut tracks owing to the good condition of the radio but, only on last resort.
I would like to use this radio for dxing,using a long wier antenna.
I have been off the radio for some years now, so it's like starting all over again, the only other mod would be a scanner, or a new xtal and just tune it in to the higher frq.

Q: with a scanner, will it just pluged into the board as this radio has a ribbon wich plugs into a socket beside the 858 chip insted of just wiers in to the board.

nice old radio i think it is the same as the washington with the 858, so would any one be able to help me out.
thanks
:D [/b]
nomadradio
Technical Helper
Technical Helper

Post by nomadradio »

Don't get to see the 18-channel types here in yankistan.

The 'scanner' products meant for that type radio would feed the 858 in place of the channel selector.

The flat cable was wired to feed the 'bits' directly to the pll chip's input pins. Many of the SSB base radios with that chip had a flat cable from the channel selector that plugged into the main pc board. Just pulling that out of the socket simplified that part of the installation.

Don't see those for sale much anymore.

uncle

Post by uncle »

thanks for the reply,it is a good old radio and to be able to get one in such good condition is exlent.
its also good to know that most of these boards have the ribbon strip wich it will make things simple to change on the bord.

Q: would any uniden 40 ch block for ssb unit fit if I could get one .

thanks againg
:D
Min
Light User
Light User

Post by Min »

uncle, did you get yourself a 40 channel block yet? Also I dont think any uniden 40 channel block will work. What pll does this unit have?
Does your radio have the digital display or the numbers on the channel dial itself?